TPG Community

Get online support

ADSL2+ speed dropped 2 days ago

SOLVED Go to solution
mark_wells
Level 3

Hello,

I have ADSL2+ with home phone in Brisbane, and since Tuesday, I notice my phone line has lot of static noise and my internet speed has now dropped to about 50% of my usual speeds. I have tried the swapping of connection cables, isolation tests, and power cycling the modem, but no change in speeds. I think the crackling on the phone line has caused problems. Can I request someone check if my SNR has changed, or if there is a fault on the line please ?

My username is mb_wells. Thanks.

Current stats from modem -

SNR   Down = 16.3dB Upstream = 8.2dB

Line Attenuation Down = 34.5dB Upstream =15.8dB

Data Rate Down = 5988 kbps Upstream = 906 kbps

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mark_wells
Level 3

@Thea wrote:

I can see that a TPG Technician has been arranged to come out this Friday, 10th of August between 1PM - 5PM to further check the lines.

Technician has now visited and gave some advice to me on cabling and the internal socket. All tests passed, and connection speed was 'within expected limits'. I will talk to the body corporate about replacing the old wiring from the MDF as the building and the phone wiring is over 40 years old. My issue can be closed. Thanks.

Mark Wells

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Thea

Thank you for reaching out to us here @mark_wells, and we're sorry to hear that you've been experiencing connection issues for the past couple of days. 

I've managed to run some tests on your ADSL2+ line and found no errors / fault that will cause the internet to be slow with static noise on the phone line. 

I would like to arrange a callback from one of our senior technician to assist real time in testing your connection. Please let me know your most convenient time to receive a callback and I will have this arranged. 

Regards,

mark_wells
Level 3

Thank you, you can call me at home any time after 5pm on weekdays, or afternoons during the weekend. If unattended, the answering machine will kick in. Modem stays on and connected to line 24/7.

I have had a number of dropouts since I got home today, so there is still definitely something dodgy with the line (unless someone is trying to fix while I'm connected). I noticed that the static on the phone line has now disappeared (i do not use the landline phone often), so now it is about stability of the ADSL2+ line. I tried removing the phone and filter completely, but had a more stronger internet with it than without.

Shane

Hi @mark_wells,

I will arrange a call from one of our Technicians tonight. I'll get back to you as soon as I got an available technician.

Cheers!

Shane

Hi @mark_wells,

Please expect a call from one of our Technicians within 30mins-1hr from now.

Let me know how it will go.

Cheers!

Shane

Hi @mark_wells,

I've seen that you have been in touch with one of our Technicians and the connection issue has been raised to our Engineering Team for further tests and investigation.

Rest assured feedback will be provided by our Engineering Team where possible.

Let me know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

mark_wells
Level 3

Thanks Shane,

The technician couldn't find any noticeable fault with the line, but saw the disconnects and static noise is now more noticeable on the phone handset. My SNR has increased to currently 22.7db (down) and 25.5db (up) with maximum speed only 6278kbps. I'll wait to see what the Engineering Team can find.

Mark Wells

Ahra_G

Hi mark_wells

I'll have the assgned Engineer to contact you and advise of what the result of investigation was. May I know the best time to schedule a call back tomorrow? 

Ahra_G

Good day, mark_wells

I have ran remote test on our end and it appears that your modem already has an active session. If you are still experiencing issues with the connection, please do let us know. 

Cheers! 

mark_wells
Level 3

The modem is usually left on and connected during the day, but the PC is off. Last night was full speed, but this morning its back to less than full again. My modem log shows DSL dropped a number of times overnight between 1-3 am, and is still unstable. If you need the modem or phone disconnected for tests during the day, please let me know.

Mark Wells