TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v Parental Control

Highlighted
Level 2

Hi, I have the above modem, I have tried to activate the parental control feature to restrict access to some user devices, ipod, I pad and a PC  and followed all instructions as written but the unit still does not restrict access as configured. I'm trying to restrict all internett access between 0000 and 0700 all days. 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Hi @karlstra,

Welcome to TPG Community!

The steps that needs to be performed to control the parental lock are:

1. Toggle on parental controls

2.Click Add.

3.The user should enter or scan the device name,mac address of their device manually to add a device that is not connected.

4. Select the effective time period during which the restriction applies.

5.Enter a description into the description field.

6.Select enable this entry.

7. Click save.

Please see image below.

Parental Control.PNG

Highlighted
Level 2

Hi, thanks for the info, I tried that and set it up exactly as shown, ...but it does not work. Meaning The devices are still connected to the internett during the effective (blocked) time. What am I doing wrong? 

The correct Mac addresses are selected , saved and the Parental Control is toggled on...

Highlighted

Hi @karlstra, are you able to check if the time on the modem is correct for your timezone?

Highlighted
Level 2

Hi ..yes the time is correct and corresponds to Australia Melblurne.

Highlighted

Hi @karlstra,

My apologies that my initial steps lack a certain component. TP-Link's Parental Control feature requires keyword restriction for it to work.

After you set the date/time, you need to turn on the Content Restriction.

Choose either Blacklist or Whitelist for the Restriction Type.

• Blacklist - controlled devices will not be able to access any websites containing the specified keywords during the date/time you've set.
  • Whitelist - will allow the controlled devices access to the specified keyword/s only (for the date/time set).

In the given example (screenshot) above, the controlled devices won't be able to access facebook.com and google.com.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Highlighted
Level 3

Hi @karlstra 

enable Parental Controls:

add devices, set the time you want them not to access.

enable Content Restriction:

Restriction Policy: enable Whitelist

dont add any words (only add the words of stuff you want them to allow in them hours)

seems to disable all internet..

Highlighted

Hi @karlstra

I recall a similar question posted a while back.

Let me share that link. I hope this helps.

Re: limit internet bandwidth for individual users

Have you seen a helpful comment lately? Be sure to give it a Like.
If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Highlighted
Level 2

There doesn't appear to be a way to restrict ALL access by certain devices for set time periods? I tried setting *.* as keywords, but this doesn't work.

Highlighted

Hi @Sjambok

Have you tried to put a "word" as a keyword and not a symbol?

The system might not read the "symbol" as a keyword.

Regards,

BasilDV