BD
Level 2
Level 2

Is the modem I purchased with the original plan locked to TPG

10 REPLIES 10
Shane

Hi @BD,

Welcome to the community!

The modem we provide is not locked to our network. Some of our supplied modem/router for our NBN Plans, Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls. This feature may or may not be available to other network.

Let me know should you require further assistance.

teepee
Level 2

How about the TP-Link Archer VR1600v Ver 1.0 NBN Modem with VOIP?

It this locked to TPG only or can it be used with other ISP providers and have NBN internet and also VOIP calls working?

How do you unlock it, if the modem is locked?

Why do you lock it, when the customer actually paid for the modem?

Thank you.

Shane

Hi @teepee,

Welcome to the community!

The TPG supplied NBN modem/router  is free whether you're not lock in or  lock-in with 18 months contract.

We have tailored the supplied NBN modem/router firmware to fit TPG's specifications for numerous reasons. Some of that reason involves quality of service and especially the security of VoIP, as this gives us a better opportunity to keep our customer's account and other credential safe and secured.

In the event, for any technical reason TPG supplied modem-router hinder customers from obtaining their desired setup and/or outcome, they have all the rights not to use it and/or purchase their own modem-router.

Let me know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

teepee
Level 2

Is the NBN Tp-link modem I mentioned locked to TPG or can I use the modem with other NBN providers like DODO, Optus, iiNET, Telstra, Optus, etc? 

BasilDV

Hi @teepee,

The TP Link modem that we are providing our customers has a special firmware which has the configuration for the VOIP to work on our network. If you are going to use the TPG supplied NBN modem to another ISP network, the VOIP function will not work, but the internet function will work given that you've configured it with the correct ISP details.

Usually, other ISP's that offers NBN has their own modem/router which they are providing their customers for the VOIP to work.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Kind regards,

teepee
Level 2

How do I remove the firmware so that it is unlocked and I can use VOIP with another network?

Shane

Hi @teepee,

We do not support flashing modem's firmware. In case you have questions about advance modem/router configuration. I recommend to contact the manufacturer directly.

Regards,

theexecutioner
Level 4
Can't tell you how happy it makes me that I churned out to AussieB today, after first speaking to one of TPG's support staff to confirm this very router is completely unlocked... So much for that... once again, someone is either lying or completely incompetent. No surprise there though. No matter, it's not like I took the risk without backup .. I'll just buy one of these, and never look back. https://beta.msy.com.au/cisco-spa112-2-port-voip-phone-adapter
Shane

Hi @theexecutioner,

We're sad to know that you considered to switch to a different provider. Let us know if there anything we can assist you with.

Regards,