TPG Community

Get online support

Low wifi signal with nbn

RoslyneTurnbull
Level 2

I have a low wifi signal with my nbn. Signal strength is always up and down. I have been through the troubleshooting. What do I do?

7 REPLIES 7
Will

Hi @RoslyneTurnbull

In order for us to better assist you with your WIFI concern, can you answer the following for us?

• Which WIFI network are you using? Are you connecting to the2.4GHz WIFI network or the 5GHz? The 5GHz WIFI network is the one with _5G on the list of WIFI devices.
  • Have you tried both WIFI networks for comparison?
  • How many signal bars are you getting?
  • Are the dropouts location specific? Or do you encounter the low WIFI signal even in the same room where the modem is?

Regards,

Will

RoslyneTurnbull
Level 2

We use the 5g network. It's faster.

Yes I've tried both networks. Same issues, only 2.4 is slower.

Signal bars change all the time. 

The issue is not location specific. Only slightly better in room with modem.

Technicians came to fix dropouts about a month ago. After they ran tests and fixed the dropout issue, they noted there still was a low signal.

Low wifi signal seems to be the issue. Internet is still usable, I'm just unsure how to fix this issue.

Will

Hi @RoslyneTurnbull

Thanks for responding to the questions we've raised.

I know you mentioned that you have performed troubleshooting earlier, but that does include WIFI channel change? If you haven't done it yet, I suggest changing the WIFI channels for both WIFI networks.

For your reference: Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it?

RoslyneTurnbull
Level 2

Yes I have changed the 2.4g wifi channel several times, it doesn't help. I'm unsure which channel to use for 5g. I was told changing 5g channel shouldn't matter. Signal strength seems to be the issue. What can I do?

Shane

Hi @RoslyneTurnbull,

The 5GHz transmits data at a faster speed than that of 2.4GHz. However, the range is shorter for 5GHz and some older devices may not be compatible with it. So as a general rule, if your devices can detect 5GHz, then go for that band. Else, pick 2.4GHz as a last resort.

Let us know should you require further assistance. Cheers!

Regards,

RoslyneTurnbull
Level 2

I know all this. That doesn't fix the problem. There is a low wifi signal. What can I do about that?

Will

Hi @RoslyneTurnbull

Our last resort is to perform a modem reset to see if that will do the trick. That is if you haven't done it yet.

Let me know how that goes.