TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Down regularly

Daniel_B
Level 3

@Daniel_B wrote:

This sounds exactly like an issue I've been having.

For a couple of months now, daily (on occassion 2-3 times per day) I just lose NBN and it can be out for 5 minutes or an hour (to be fair, it's usually shorter rather than longer).

But it's not at set times and there's no warning when it will go or when it will come back up.

Should I make an indepdent thread about this?*

*I did call over the weekend to discuss, but we ended up spending an hour trying to improve wifi connectivity - which I don't believe was ever the issue and hasn't solved the dropout problem anyway.

If I sound a bit miffed, it's because I have to work from home in the current environment and this makes it difficult.

I have this issue again.
Following the message above, this issue was escalated. The engineering group said they would monitor the service for a few days.

Despite everyone saying they had not done anything and couldn't see any problems, the issue was fixed and there were no more drop outs.
The monitoring stopped after 24 hours which was not what I was told - just as an aside.

Anyway, I got about 2.5 good weeks in before it started happening again. Exactly the same thing - drops randomly for between 5 minutes and an hour, at different times of the day - and it's on both wired and wireless connections and at times when only 1 device is connected or when multiple are.

Just need it fixed guys. I'm trying to work from home and it's not easy with things dropping out mid project or mid discussion.

I'm coming to the end of my patience. I really like the product you're offering here, have been a customer for a while now, but my NBN experience has been a nightmare since we switched.

BasilDV

Hi @Daniel_B

We apologise for the inconvenience.

We've tested the line and was not able to detect any fault within the NBN network. Your NBN NTD box shows that it's been stable for more than 3 days.

This means that the connection is dropping out of your modem/router. Did you notice any changes in the light status of the modem/router when the connection drops out?

What troubleshooting have you done so far? Have you tried to reboot the modem/router? If yes, can you turn if off again, then disconnect the cables connected to it? Reconnect the cables after 30 seconds, then turn it on.

BasilDV

Daniel_B
Level 3

Yes the lights drop out and it essentially tries to regain the connection over and over.

Turning it off and on doesn't expedite the reconnection process. I can (and will) play with the connections, but I feel like I'm back to the basic troubleshooting I started on over a month ago when I had the initial issue. It didn't help then.

I pitched my story here because I'm having a hard time believing this is modem-related behaviour, but I'll do my bit and feedback.

garythomann13
Level 6

Welcome to the NBN Smiley Happy

Would suggest adding your state, suburb and postcode to highlight your issue Smiley Happy

Riezl

Thanks, @Daniel_B. If you could also check what light on the modem and the NBN connection box normally goes off whenever the connection drops , it will help us with the investigation.

Daniel_B
Level 3

@garythomann13 wrote:

Welcome to the NBN Smiley Happy

Would suggest adding your state, suburb and postcode to highlight your issue Smiley Happy

Still the same as last time to be fair. I suspect they have it.

Ahra_G

Hi @Daniel_B

In continuation to your post from this thread

There are different types of dropouts that you may experience:

1. Network dropouts, this dropout is caused by a line fault on TPG or NBN's network. Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.

2. Wireless dropouts, this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.

3. Dropouts caused by ongoing outage in your area.

In the event that you experience dropouts via Wireless/Wi-Fi connection, we recommend having a read on the following articles:

Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection
Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it

Remote tests showed that your modem is connected to the line and to our server for almost a day now which is an indication of a stable connection. I would recommend following the steps from the articles mentioned above to help with the connection issue you're experiencing. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

Daniel_B
Level 3

I appreciate putting all the information in 1 easy place to read, but I feel like my history on this matter (some of which I described) covers this.

For #2 - including the help guides linked, I have spent a couple of hours with Tech support going through these steps to eliminate the wireless/local element of the the issue. Including adjusting the modem/router settings and going through more physical barriers like distance and line of sight.

Also noting it's not just 1 device.

For #3 - it's irregular drops over a series of days - now over two separate windows of time. It's hard to imagine regular outtages in my area that are otherwise unreported by TPG or NBN during times when I've lost connection.

So I'm really back to point #1 - and I can nominate in here within a few minutes when something goes wrong to prompt live testing. But do I just hope that someone picks up my post within a few minutes and can look before it solves itself (somewhere between 5 minutes and an hour usually)? What options do I have for that?

Ahra_G

We appreciate you breaking down the issues, @Daniel_B. Apologies as well as we could not respond as quickly, as we try to attend to all the incoming issues raise here on our Community page. 

I would recommend to speak directly with our Technical team to assist you with the connection issue. 

I also realised that the drop outs you were experiencing were random, but it is best if their team can still check and run further tests on your connection. 

May I know the most convenient time for you to receive a call? 

Regards,

Ahra_G