TPG Community

Get online support

NBN FTTN to FTTP Upgrade Suburb

SOLVED Go to solution
neirbomn
Level 3
Hi
I’m in Hilton WA and currently on FTTN. Hilton is one of the suburbs announced as being available for FTTP upgrades. My understanding of the program is that the NBN asked for RSPs to apply to take part in the upgrade. So first question:

Did TPG apply? Only 7 RSPs did according to them but they haven’t released which.

Secondly, I’m aware that you must apply for a higher speed to qualify. When I called TPG nobody seemed able to help me. I was passed around until someone said I’d have to contact NBN. So second question:

Will TPG make me aware that I can apply when this upgrade program is available? It all seems like nobody seems to quite know the details yet but March 2022 was the month where the NBN said this upgrade program would start.

Currently I am on a 50/20 connection so would need to upgrade to the 100 to qualify but don’t want to pay if my particular street isn’t getting the option.

Help and advice appreciated.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Angeli

Hi @neirbomn

We are unable to take in your details as we do not have an information as to when it will be offered. 

Regards, 

Angeli

View solution in original post

neirbomn
Level 3
In fact TPG are not one of the ISPs who signed up…

For anyone else here looking for a straight answer follow the link below to providers who did sign up…

https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/upgrades/fttp-upgrade-with-higher-speed-tiers/find-a-participat...

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Ahra_G

Hi @neirbomn,

As you are aware, NBN Co is the wholesale provider of NBN services therefore, ISPs rely and are subjected to their connection timeframe, scheduling and even which type of technology will be available in a certain area. 

ISPs need not apply for service availability as they are the one who gets in touch to inform and provide updates regarding changes with their service(s).

As your ISP, we send notifications (email/SMS) as soon as we receive one from NBN Co; be it from upgrade or  switching to a different type of technology. 

Feel free to let us know should you require further assistance. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

Hi
I’m in Hilton WA and currently on FTTN. Hilton is one of the suburbs announced as being available for FTTP upgrades. My understanding of the program is that the NBN asked for RSPs to apply to take part in the upgrade. So first question:

Did TPG apply? Only 7 RSPs did according to them but they haven’t released which.

Secondly, I’m aware that you must apply for a higher speed to qualify. When I called TPG nobody seemed able to help me. I was passed around until someone said I’d have to contact NBN. So second question:

Will TPG make me aware that I can apply when this upgrade program is available? It all seems like nobody seems to quite know the details yet but March 2022 was the month where the NBN said this upgrade program would start.

Currently I am on a 50/20 connection so would need to upgrade to the 100 to qualify but don’t want to pay if my particular street isn’t getting the option.

Help and advice appreciate
neirbomn
Level 3
Sorry but I don’t think that answers the questions I’ve asked. At least, I don’t understand your response. This was specifically to do with announcements concerning upgrades. Upgrades, as far as I understand it, to my service would ONLY be triggered if I take up a plan which is at a higher speed. I’m honestly confused by your reply so please elaborate with specific reference to the announced suburbs that can obtain an upgrade from FTTN to FTTP from NBN and also if TPG is one of the seven RSPs/ISPs that applied to the NBN.
Ahra_G

Hi @neirbomn

Responding to your query whether ISPs need to apply or need to be listed for an upgrade, the answer is no. ISPs do not need to apply for a certain NBN technology even if it's available. (e.g from FTTN to FTTP). 

NBN Co reaches out to ISPs and then ISPs will inform their existing customers if they can switch over to the new technology. We rely on whichever info is provided by NBN Co. 

We'd appreciate if you can share the link/page on where you got these info from. 

-Ahra_G

neirbomn
Level 3

Hi @Ahra_G,

Thanks for your request for 

Extending fibre deeper into the network - NBN

See FAQ > I live in one of the selected towns or suburbs. When can I get access to higher speed services? >View the list of selected towns and suburbs announced so far > Western Australia

Announced in May 2021:

Ascot, Balcatta, Balga, Bayswater, Beaconsfield, Beckenham, Belmont, Bentley, Bicton, Cannington, City Beach, Cloverdale, Coogee, East Cannington, East Fremantle, Fremantle, Gosnells, Hamilton Hill, Highgate, Hilton, Huntingdale, Karawara, Karrinyup, Kewdale, Maylands, Midland, Morley, Mount Lawley, Nollamara, North Fremantle, North Perth, Osborne Park, Palmyra, Redcliffe, Riverton, Rivervale, Rossmoyne, Samson, Scarborough, Shelley, South Fremantle, Southern River, Spearwood, St James, Stirling, Tuart Hill, Waikiki, Waterford, Wembley Downs, Westminster, Yokine.

See also:

https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-statements/nbnco-announces-900000-...

"Only seven RSPs signed up to trial" quote from the NBN is contained in this article:

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-reveals-just-20-fttn-premises-upgraded-to-full-fibre-in-trial-...

As I said it seems that although all this has been announced it appears to be a big mystery to TPG. I can't find a straight answer anywhere and I don't know who I can ask.

Angeli

Hi @neirbomn, we’re still working with NBN on this, and don’t have all the details available just yet. We’ll update customers once we have more information.

neirbomn
Level 3

@Angeli 

When do you anticipate receiving the details?
I would like to benefit from this upgrade if at all possible.

The NBN Technology Choice Program quoted $12,000 for an upgrade to FTTP for my house which is ridiculous.

Angeli

Hi @neirbomn

We are unable to take in your details as we do not have an information as to when it will be offered. 

Regards, 

Angeli

neirbomn
Level 3
In fact TPG are not one of the ISPs who signed up…

For anyone else here looking for a straight answer follow the link below to providers who did sign up…

https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/upgrades/fttp-upgrade-with-higher-speed-tiers/find-a-participat...
robertjw
Level 4

Is TPG going to set up their own network, outside of the NBN?

They seem to be the only major ISP now who is not listed on the NBN website or have a plan to provide their  FTTN and FTTC customers an FTTP upgrade path.