TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Fibre to the Curb (FTTC) Setup Guide

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted

Hi @richard2227

We understand that our NBN Provisioning team has been in touch and an NBN technician visit is booked to finalise the installation/activation of your service.

Further updates will be given by your case manager once available.

Stay safe and have a good day.

BasilDV

Highlighted
Level 1b
Hi there!

I received my new TPG modem along with the NCD earlier today after upgrading my previous ADSL2+ plan last week. At 2:50PM, I received a text stating “ TPG Important Reminder: Your NBN service is awaiting activation. You're required to connect your NBN modem.“ At around 5:45PM I’ve connected the NCD to my main phone line in my unit (where my existing TPG modem was plugged into). As many other people have experienced, the power light is completely blue, the connection light (looks like a chain) and the DSL light are flashing blue, and the LAN light is completely off. There is also a clicking coming from the NCD.

I attempted to test out the NCD on my other phone line in the main bedroom, but the connection light was flashing red. We have never used this line, and previously when TPG was setting up internet at this address, we had a technician use the main phone line (not the one in the bedroom).

Just wondering what are the next steps in the process? After doing a bit of reading, seems like we need TPG’s help with this. In the meantime, I have reconnected out previous modem, and it is working as expected per our previous plan.

Thank you!
Highlighted

Hi @harrisonshort

Welcome to the Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and would like to arrange a call from our NBN Provisioning team to further check the status of the service activation.

Please send me a PM with your preferred time and best number to be contacted tomorrow.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

BasilDV

Highlighted
Level 1b

At my previous address I had NBN FTTN and used a different, black NBN box. This worked perfectly with my ASUS RT-AC87U, which is far better than the supplied modem and has 4 powerful antenna which I need for my property.

There are various guides out there that suggest it should work without using the TP Link Archer modem:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2500396

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2785471

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2546282

However I cannot get it to work. 

I need to use my router because I need the more powerful wifi signal, and also because of my NAS configuration. I actually cannot wait to bin the supplied modem, it has been terrible with my ADSL+ connection.

Can someone help me? Can I just use my old NBN box? Or what do I need to configure in the ASUS RT-AC87U to get it working?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi @vibe, if you're on NBN FTTN, FTTB, FTTC, HFC and Fixed Wireless service, you need a VDSL2 NBN compatible modem-router, but if you're on NBN FTTP, you can use an NBN compatible router-only device.

You can visit this link to view the general settings : https://www.tpg.com.au/support/nbn/generalsetting

Highlighted
Level 1b

Yeah, as my links show this router is compatible with TPG FTTC without using the supplied TP Link modem.

I just need to know the correct settings. Do I need a username and password under PPoE WAN settings?

Also although i received a message asking me to connect my NBN box, I still don't seem to have a connection. 

Highlighted

Please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can take a look at your account and the status of the service installation.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Highlighted
Level 1a

Hi There, we have followed the above steps but still have a red flashing light on the nbn and a clicking noise?!

Highlighted

Hi @hollywelsh17, please send me a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so I can pull up the account and help get to the bottom of this. Thank you.

Highlighted
Level 1a
Hi,
I tried to connect, there is no internet light on from the modem, but Blue lights are on from nbn device, only the last “Lan” light is sometimes on and off.