TPG Community

Get online support

Re: NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (NBN HFC) Setup Guide

mghickey
Level 2

I have already ordered the TPG NBN HFC service for connection in December 2018.  I have the TPG ADSL2+ service at the moment.  My modem/router is connected to the RJ-11 wall-plate/patch-panel, and in turn various other devices, including telephone base-station & PC.  I also have FTA TV & Foxtel Satellite services, which are connected to two coaxial wall-plates/patch-panels, and in turn various other devices, including Foxtel IQ2 box & Sony TV.

The RJ-11 wall-plate/patch-panel and the two coaxial wall-plates/patch-panels are located in the same open-plan living room, diagonally opposite each other, and five metres apart.

The NBNCo has informed me that my home-unit/apartment is "Service class 22".

When the NBNCo technician comes to install the NBN NTD/Connection Box, I intend to instruct/request him/her to replace/install it where the existing RJ-11 wall-plate/patch-panel is presently located in the same open-plan living room, diagonally opposite the two coaxial wall-plates/patch-panels, and five metres apart.  Will this configuration work?

How can I connect the internet to myFoxtel IQ2 box & Sony TV?  Could I use Wi-Fi and/or Ethernet-over-Powerline (EOP)?  I am presently using EOP to connect various devices in discrete rooms.  It is quite reliable.

9 REPLIES 9
BasilDV

Hi @mghickey,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Thank you for pre-ordering our TPG NBN HFC service. We are excited to provide you the service as December 2018 is fast approaching.

You are right, an NBN technician will need to visit your premises for the installation for the "Service class 22". The location where they can install the NBN NTD Box will depend on their assessment, as they need to consider the location if the coaxial cable from outside will reach it or if there's any additional work that's needed to complete the job.

You can still use your Ethernet-over-Powerline (EOP) network to connect your myFoxtel IQ2 box & Sony TV as the technology was changed, but the premises electrical line is still the same. You do have an option to connect the devices via WiFi if they are capable as well.

Kind regards,
BasilDV

mghickey
Level 2

How many coaxial cables will I have or require coming into my home-unit or apartment in order to support Foxtel Satellite TV, FTA TV & NBN HFC? 

Shane

Hi @mghickey,

You only need 1 coaxial cable, however you might need to have multiple Digital Signal Splitter depending on the device(s) you need to connect.

Cheers!

mghickey
Level 2

At present the left-hand-side coaxial cable runs from the wall-plate to a FTA/SAT splitter box and then to my TV & Foxtel IQ2 devices.

The right-hand-side coaxial cable runs from the wall-plate to a splitter, and then to my TV & nowhere else (loose end).

Shane

Hi @mghickey

Do you have NBN box installed to your house? If NBN HFC or the Arris box is not yet installed then an onsite NBN technician may be sent out to assist with the cabling.

Cheers!

mghickey
Level 2

Shane asked, "Do you have NBN box installed to your house?"

Answer: I live in a strata-titled home-unit/apartment-block.  A NBN HFC cable connection box was installed and commissioned in, say July/August 2018.  My apartment is presently Service Class 22, meaning that "The property is within the HFC footprint, drop in place, no wall plate or NTD".

I have had two on-site with NBNCo technicians.  The first technician abandoned the meeting without giving an explanation.  He said that he was going to his van to get a key & call his boss.

The second technician said that the existing Foxtel Satellite & FTA services required the two existing coaxial cable wall-plate/patch-panel outlets, & that he would have to run a third coaxial cable wall-plate/patch-panel outlet.

This is why I asked, "How many coaxial cables will I have or require coming into my home-unit or apartment in order to support Foxtel Satellite TV, FTA TV & NBN HFC?"

In effect, NBNCo is saying that I need three outlets whereas Shane is saying, "You only need 1 coaxial cable."

BasilDV

Hi @mghickey,

Thanks for providing those information.

Apparently, the usual HFC setup uses only 1 coaxial cable, in which a splitter can be used to provide a second connection if require (for Foxtel, etc.).

Since you have a complex setup on your apartment using coaxial cables, an expert is needed to assess the case and provide a resolution. As you've stated that an NBN technician has visited the site and advised you that a third coaxial cable is needed for the NBN HFC technology, since the other 2 is already occupied.

We apologise for the misunderstanding.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

mghickey
Level 2

I am asking, "How many coaxial cables will I have or require coming into my home-unit or apartment in order to support Foxtel Satellite TV, FTA TV & NBN HFC?"

What is the minimum number of cables?  1, 2 or 3?

Alternatively, can the Foxtel Satellite TV, FTA TV & NBN HFC services be carried on a single common coaxial cable, or possibly 2 services on one cable, and one service on the other cable?

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @mghickey your question can't be definitively answered until a technician evaluates your particular installation.

For example some apartment blocks will have Foxtel and FTA local channels transcoded and combined at the TV headend system, usually in a comms room and modulated on the MATV system and distributed throughout the building using a single coaxial cable to each appartment, other installations will keep these services seperate, it's possible you may need 1 or 2 or 3 cables.