Slow Upload Speed

SOLVED Go to solution
ds888
Level 3
Hi, I’m on a HFC 100 plan and download speed seems mostly good, most of the time. However I notice that upload speed varies between 11 and 19Mbps, never higher.
(This is a different issue than my earlier post where I had extremely slow upload speed due to a configuration issue).
Is this slow upload speed expected on the TPG service? Are other people on HFC getting any better?
My last ISP was able to provide 35Mbps, although that was a different network.
NBN states that HFC *can* deliver up to 40Mbps, I believe, so why is the current upload speed slow?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ds888
Level 3
ok, so the service is based on the NBN 100/20 tier! So that explains the slow upload speed At my last speedtest I was getting 19Mbps which is pretty much the limit that tpg has purchased.
At least I know now that there’s nothing wrong with the service.
I wish we had a faster upload speed for the 100 service, but it is what it is.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Riezl

Hi @ds888, we have created this community article which may help resolve the issue.

For WiFi issues, here are the articles that we've created to help you improve your home WiFi network.

If the issue persists, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address sow e can pull up the account and look into this further.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community 

ds888
Level 3
I hooked up a laptop via a CAT cable directly to the VR1600v modem/router and disconnected the other devices, so only the laptop was connected to the VR1600v. The 2.4 wi-fi network was enabled but I checked that nothing was connected to it. (The phone handset is connected to the phone line - I didn’t try disconnecting it).

I then ran the tpg speed test in the browser and obtained the following:
Server TPG Internet Pty Ltd Sydney
Ping - 8 ms
Download - 108 Mbps
Upload of - 19 Mbps

These speeds are the same as when I’m using wi-fi on my wi-fi router, (which is connected downstream from the VR1600v as an AP). This, IMO, excludes the wi-fi connection and my router from being complicating factors.

The download speed is good, but upload is not so good.
Upload speed is not critical most of the time, except when working from home I do need good upload speed for teleconferencing.

Is there any configuration settings at the tpg backend that could be contributing to a slower upload speed that don’t affect the download speed?
Anything I should ask the service desk people to check?
BasilDV

Hi @ds888

We'd like to check on your account if what is the configured Upload speed for your plan.

Our NBN100 is configured to have a 20 Mbps Upload speed, which was applied around May 2020.

Check it here.

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to check on this further.

BasilDV

ds888
Level 3
ok, so the service is based on the NBN 100/20 tier! So that explains the slow upload speed At my last speedtest I was getting 19Mbps which is pretty much the limit that tpg has purchased.
At least I know now that there’s nothing wrong with the service.
I wish we had a faster upload speed for the 100 service, but it is what it is.