TPG Community

Get online support

Spam/Junk filtering

jetpilot
Level 3

With the volume of junk/spam coming into email these days, I thought TPG might have a more direct way to tag and delete junk in bulk. I have tried dragging them into the spam folder, but little else seems to prevent them. Surely there is a smarter way of getting rid of this rubbish which takes up about 40-60% of my inbox. It is not unique to any one client, so perhaps there could be higher level filters in the server???

It must also be impacting on the postoffice, so it is to everyone's advantage if TPG try yo improve this!

18 REPLIES 18
Riezl

Hi @jetpilot, please be informed that our TPG Post Office has a Junk Mail Filter feature that could be of additional help to you. This filters out the spams on our server before it reaches the Inbox of your email program.

To enable your Junk Mail Filter, please follow the directions below :

1. Login to your TPG Post Office with your username and password through this link : https://tpg.com.au/home/postoffice

2. Click on Settings at the top.

3. Click on Mail Filtering Settings on the left side of the page.

4. On Select the level of filtering for all your incoming email box, choose the level of filtering you prefer. Below are the security level you can choose from:

* Off - No filtering, turns off automatic Junk Filter detection
    * Low (Normal) - Low filtering, sets a low Junk Filter detection sensitivity
    * Medium - Medium filtering, sets a slightly higher sensitivity.
    * High - High filtering, sets the highest sensitivity (high setting also filters Bcc'd messages)

5. Click on Save Settings.

You may also try to use the other features under Mail Filtering:

* Address Filters - allows you to create rules that will either block or allow messages to be delivered, no matter what content is within the message.   

* Advanced Filters - allows you to create rules that can not be created with the Address Filters. These give a finer control on the way a message can be matched, and can be set to expire on a certain day if desired.

Furthermore, you can select all the emails on the current page by clicking on the gear icon near the trash button to delete the emails per page.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance. Thank you.

calcal
Level 2

Hi TPG

I have done this and have set the filter to high, but am still adding 2+ spam email addresses to the filter every day.

Is there a way as an ISP (or as a group of ISPs) can identify where the spam is coming from and block it from the source?  What I see is common addresses, the Spamers must use an ISP somewhere in the email chain that is allowing the large number of messages they must be sending.

Riezl

Hi @calcal, unfortunately, we don't have control over this. What you can do is to mark the emails as spam and make sure not to register your email on a specific website to avoid receiving spam mails.

Brado
Level 3
Hi Riezi,
Your junk mail filter does not work. I have it set to high and recieve between 20 & 30 of the same junk every day. I have also spent hours creating 100's of custom filters and these do not work either. My junk mailbox is always empty, not a single spam mail captured.
This is a very poor effort by TPG in controlling this problem. By contrast I do not get anywhere near the volume of spam with other service providers.

What about a regional filter, surely this would be simple to implement as most spam seems to originate from overseas.
Brad
Will

Hi @Brado

Welcome to the Community!

In most cases, one of the reasons why spam messages are still going to your inbox is because your email address may have been submitted for a subscription. You may not have done it on your own (someone might have put your email address for you) or you may have done it with one particular site but they could have sold your email address to other sites. If you have been subscribed to their newsletter, you can see a small description usually at the bottom that says "you are receiving this email because you have subscribed to our newsletter". If you see that message, you'll likely find an option to unsubscribe as well.

The other thing that you can do is to tag the emails as Spam for the email addresses to be flagged in our server. Future emails from the specific sender will then go to the Spam folder. Visit this community link where it was discussed how you can tag the message as spam:

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/Possible-spam-email/m-p/38043#M14487

Regards,

Will

Brado
Level 3
Hi Will,
Thanks for the information on how to tag spam email. None of the emails I identify as spam are from legitimate subscriptions.
Regardless, the custom filters should work weather it a legitimate email or spam but they just no not work at all. I have over 100 subject words flagged, yet they still come through regardless.
Brad
Will

Hi @Brado

To better understand why it didn't work, would you be able to provide a screenshot of the Advanced Filters section? If you're not comfortable posting it in the public thread, you may PM it to me instead.

For your reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Brado
Level 3
Hi Will, i have been flagging these emails as spam since the 14th Nov in TPG post office and have even added more custom filters for subject words as well as blocking the spam email addresses and yet it seems the spam has significantly increased in volume since I started flagging them. Most of the span are the same messages sent over and over again. Same subject, same addresses etc. I would really appreciate if TPG could address this issue as filtering has absolutely no effect.
Regards
Brad
Will

Hi @Brado,

I'm sorry that we haven't been able to reach out to you yet on this case. We've already engaged our Postmaster regarding this case. I hope you can bear with us further.