TPG Community

Get online support

Speed difference between ADSL 2 + vs NBN on the HFC

SOLVED Go to solution
Adrian2017
Level 3
The best I've been able to get on my ADSL 2+ has been SYNC 6 MBps with regular disconnects. When in theory I should be able to get 25 MBps.

I wonder what sort of difference I should expect on the NBN withthe speed 25/5 Unlimited via HFC.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WayneR
Staff
Hi Adrian,

My experience between HFC vs ADSL has been a positive one. They both have their upside and downside.

HFC can be capable of pumping out more faster internet however can have some issues time to time as other premises are connecting to the hfc network could cause some issues with packet drops and speed bursts however not always.

I've tested a few HFC connections when we were trialling and overall it was a good experience.

HFC should give you 25 no problems.

If I had a choice between HFC or ADSL I would go HFC 100% of the time

However: please note I am only speaking from my own experience and your experience could be totally different.

PS eventually you will need to move across anyway so no time like the present

Regards

Wayne

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Fiery
Level 4

NBN is a joke, with the majority of households having FTTN, all it is an excuse to up the prices.

They're still using the old copper wire that ADSL is using, so what is the difference for the majorty? absolutetly ring all except a price increase, and the right NOT to choose ADSL.

It's either NBN or lose all internet and phone.

It will never be truly faster until they cable to every house, which I expect I will be dead before that happens.

WayneR
Staff
Hi Adrian,

My experience between HFC vs ADSL has been a positive one. They both have their upside and downside.

HFC can be capable of pumping out more faster internet however can have some issues time to time as other premises are connecting to the hfc network could cause some issues with packet drops and speed bursts however not always.

I've tested a few HFC connections when we were trialling and overall it was a good experience.

HFC should give you 25 no problems.

If I had a choice between HFC or ADSL I would go HFC 100% of the time

However: please note I am only speaking from my own experience and your experience could be totally different.

PS eventually you will need to move across anyway so no time like the present

Regards

Wayne
jabang072
Level 2
It happened 15+ years ago in Korea. I have a vivid memory accessing internet using adsl 25 years ago back in Korea. I have been used adsl for 6 years since moved to Australia. I’m really shocked back then. And then I moved new place recently where NBN is available. Yey~. And then I realised that I’m stuck in the HFC connection box shortage and my whole family has to rely on mobile data few few months at least.

Oh, nearly forgot to say that TPG keep charging me $99.98 every month for not unconnected internet. I complained on the phone but the lady put me through the case manager and no answering. Got me listen to endless stupid music.
Shane

Hi @jabang072,

Thanks for raising this to us, we'd love to help see the status of the installation of the service, to better understand the situation shoot us a private message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

It happened 15+ years ago in Korea. I have a vivid memory accessing internet using adsl 25 years ago back in Korea. I have been used adsl for 6 years since moved to Australia. I’m really shocked back then. And then I moved new place recently where NBN is available. Yey~. And then I realised that I’m stuck in the HFC connection box shortage and my whole family has to rely on mobile data few few months at least.

Oh, nearly forgot to say that TPG keep charging me $99.98 every month for not unconnected internet. I complained on the phone but the lady put me through the case manager and no answering. Got me listen to endless stupid music.