TPG Community

Get online support

The Internet has been really slow.

SOLVED Go to solution
liliangel1975
Level 2

I called the TPG support quite a few times only to temporarily resolve the issue. Even Google says my 'internet is very slow.' This literally happens every second of my life. I don't understand why it is so slow. I have NBN and ADSL 2+. I never downloaded anything over 1.4mb/s because it's just that slow. Also, I'd be lucky if it did download at 1.4mb/s. This has been happening a lot, I tried the most obvious things like: 'Restart your modem' and 'plug an ethernet cable in' but it still isn't that fast. People around me get much higher download speeds than me, I'm wondering what is wrong. My plan even promised me faster internet. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kirsten
Level 2

@liliangel1975 hey mate what's the latest on this? Reading through this thread made me remember having the same issue before. Isolating my devices one by one helps in resolving my issue. To get a more accurate speedtest result I used ethernet to connect my laptop to the modem, turning off the applications running on the background. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
tonystork
Level 5

To identify what exact speed you're getting. I may suggest you to use speed test app by ookla if you're using smart phone for testing or you can have desktop/laptop preferrably connected via ethernet cable and run speed test on this site www.speedtest.net for me this speed test is more accurate than any other speed test app. Smiley Happy

Note: It's more accurate when you run speed test on 1 particular device connected on the internet (wireless/wired)

Hope it helps.

liliangel1975
Level 2

But what is the solution to slow internet? I usually don't get more than 1mb/s download for long.

Ozone
Level 3

Hi liliangel1975,

Firstly:

• Are both your NBN and ADSL2+ service currently active in the same house?

If yes,

• What is your TPG NBN plan and the TPG ADSL2+ plan?
  • We need to know what type of NBN technology you use (FTTN/FTTB/HFC/FTTP, etc.,) and it's always indicated in the plan name
  • We then proceed to check how both services are physically set up (cabled/connected) in your house

If no,

• Which one are you using (the one which has slow download speed)?
  • What is the TPG plan name of the active service?
  • We then proceed to check how the active service is physically set up (cabled/connected) in your house

Secondly:

• When TPG support temporarily resolved the issue, what was your improved download speed?
  • How long did this temporary speed improvement last?
  • What did TPG support say as the cause of your slow speeds?
  • What did TPG support do or what did they asked you to do that temporarily improved your download speed?

Thirdly:

• When you say "People around me get much higher download speeds than me", are you referring to people living in your house using the same internet connection?
  • Or are you referring to your neighbours?

Hopefully, with your answers to the above questions, our community here may be able to work our way together to resolve your problem.

liliangel1975
Level 2

Yes, both services (NBN and ADSL2+) are active in the same house. I'm not sure what my plan is but I know it's the $69.99 unlimited plan. When the TPG support resolved the issue it just bumped the download speed up to it's 'normal' speed. which was 1.1mb/s - 1.4. The temporary speed improvement lasted for a few days, two or three. The speeds kept changing dropping up and down and recently it would be very slow. Even when i am the only device using the internet, i cannot watch videos on 720p on youtube and opening web pages take forever. I waited a while and refreshed the page alot just to get here and I don't even know if it will be able to post. The TPG support just gave me a ticket and did their thing, this was when my internet was painfully slow and was dropping out once every five minutes.

And I am referring to my neighbours. People in my house get the same slow speeds.

I have attached a speed test of my recent test which took a lot of time to load the page. It's the one with 11ms ping. The other test which i tried to attach had 3ms was for about 2 weeks ago. For the past few days, my internet was so slow i could not watch youtube on high quality or even standard quality. The ping jumps around a lot. I live just beyond 1.5km of the TPG cable distance, maybe 100 metres extra?

Please help me resolve this annoying internet issues, thank you. I have friends who use TPG who get much faster speeds. Something which would take me 12 hours to download would take them 4 hours or less. 

JovenA

@liliangel1975

Are NBN and ADSL2+ service both provided by TPG? Which service are having a slow connection?

liliangel1975
Level 2

Yes and i don't know which is slow. I waited for 10 minutes to get here. I definitely feel like nbn shouldn't be this slow. I asked a few people i know and the speed i get is speed without NBN. I am just having a very slow connection speed.

KarenC

liliangel1975 wrote:

Yes and i don't know which is slow.

You've mentioned both services are still active, is the ADSL 2+ account with TPG? Currently, are you connected via wired or wireless connection? If it's the latter, connect your computer straight to the modem and run me another speed test and post the results.

liliangel1975
Level 2

My computer was connected to the modem anyways. The ADSL account is with TPG, i don't have anything third party but NBN. Here are the results of a test which i just did

lag_net
Level 2

ADSL/ADSL2+ heavily relies on DSLAM or telephone exchange. If you are outside of the DSLAM coverage (even by a few metres), your speeds aren't guaranteed to be as fast as it is stated on the plan. I live about 3.5km away from my nearest exchange and even with just ADSL2+ with home phone bundle I get a bit under a third of what my plan states. (~7000 kbits as opposed to theoretical 25000 kbits).

Aside from that, noises on the telephone line can also interfere with the speeds as well as stability of the connection. If your connection has always been slow since you subscribed to TPG then it is possible that the existed before you subscribed. Normally TPG would escalate the issue to Telstra if there is an issue with the copper wires that is not coming from customer premises but the connection (from there) to the nearest exchange. The same sort of thing goes with speed/connection stability being deteriorated over time.

In either case, you will need to figure out when this issue started happening and perhaps explain to TPG (via phone) in detail. They should then make you go through isolation tests by having all phones and other devices that relies on phone cable to be disconnected from within the premise and to test the connectivity from there. If the issue with the isolation test persists, they will escalate the issue to engineer dept. in which a technician will visit your premise physically to isolate the cause.