Vpn

SOLVED Go to solution
fionaieraci
Level 3

i have been with TPG for about 2 months or so at for the first month or so everything worked fine I use an asus rt ac 88 u router with express VPN set up on it and has been for years , lately when i try to do anything with the VPN running i get an error message,, insufficient bandwidth,,I have tried several fixes a/installing merlin firmware on my router b/ deleting all my VPN locations and starting from scratch .  I am now wondering if TPG are chocking/limiting my bandwidth ? Anyone else out there have this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Will

Hi @fionaieraci,

When you mention that the Arris box is overheating, are you saying that the equipment becomes unbearable to touch?

Also, just to clarify on the comparison you made regarding the speeds you get with and without the VPN, did you use different routers for the tests or did you simply turn off the VPN? The reason why I'm asking this is because you have previous posts wherein you mentioned you have more than 1 router.

Regards,

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
BasilDV

Hi @fionaieraci,

Technically the speed of the NBN services is capped to the type of speed plan that you'll choose.

You are currently enrolled in the NBN 50/20 speed tier plan which has a typical evening speed of 42.6 Mbps. We need to check if the speed of your internet service is within range before we question the settings of your VPN application.

You need to check the speed that you are getting with only 1 device connected to the network. If you have a wired computer, that will be preferred as it will give us a much accurate speed test result.

Once confirmed that the speed is within specification, you need to check your activities online. If a computer/device is uploading or downloading a huge file online, then it is possible that it will eat up a huge part of your bandwidth, which can cause the error message.

If issue still persists and your internet speed test result passed or within range, then you need to contact your VPN provider for further checking.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

fionaieraci
Level 3
My typical evening speeds are around 40 to 46 mbs without the VPN running and around 5 to 15 mbs with the VPN running
I use the same VPN provides I have used for years on the exact same router I have used for years.As I previously mentioned when i first moved over to TPG there was no difference in speed while using a VPN .My connection and speed stayed the same as they had been for years with Optus,then out of the blue ( about 5to 6weeks after moving to Tpg) I suddenly get insufficient bandwidth error messages and when it's really playing up I get,,internet connection problem please check your connection and try again,, rebooting the modem and or router doesn't help.I am very disappointed and regret signing up for a two year contact.I can assure you if it continues I will either wait out the contract or pay the penalty and take my business elsewhere if all I get from Tpg is passing the blame on without even trying to find out what has changed all of a sudden
Shane

Hi @fionaieraci,

Considering that the speed you're getting with the service are 40 to 46mbs without the VPN. We ran an initial test it shows no issues with the connection.  Does the Error message occurs on your VPN Software? We recommend to contact your VPN provider for further investigation.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

fionaieraci
Level 3

bandwidth and speed are not always the same thing as I'm sure you know !

BasilDV

Hi @fionaieraci,

@Shane used the word "speed" loosely for layman's term of "data transfer rate / bandwidth".

The actual speed or sync speed of your NBN plan is 50 Mbps.

We don't limit the bandwidth that we are providing our customers', you are getting a good speed test result without the VPN (40 to 46 Mbps), but your transfer rate falls when you try to use the VPN.

It is possible that something within your network is limiting or minimizing the bandwidth that your VPN can take. Was there any recent updates with your firewall or anti-virus?

As you've said that it was working fine for the first month or so. Was there any changes that you can remember before the you experience the issue?

Kind regards,

BasilDV

fionaieraci
Level 3

@BasilDV wrote:

Hi @fionaieraci,

@Shaneused the word "speed" loosely for layman's term of "data transfer rate / bandwidth".

The actual speed or sync speed of your NBN plan is 50 Mbps.

We don't limit the bandwidth that we are providing our customers', you are getting a good speed test result without the VPN (40 to 46 Mbps), but your transfer rate falls when you try to use the VPN.

It is possible that something within your network is limiting or minimizing the bandwidth that your VPN can take. Was there any recent updates with your firewall or anti-virus?

As you've said that it was working fine for the first month or so. Was there any changes that you can remember before the you experience the issue?

Kind regards,

BasilDV

The only thing that changed was our modem started playing up eg dropping out overheating and I mean it would get very hot . My problem started straight after it started dropping out and overheating . My conclusion the problem is the modem . I logged a complaint and finally, someone said they would send me a replacement modem but instead sent me another router. Now I don't even use the original router because it is in the front bedroom and the wifi does not reach my office or lounge room.

I have recently tried another VPN provider and guess what? no change. I have completely given up and now do most of my work at home with mobile data. Whether I am using it for work or not it is imperative I use a VPN due to the nature of my work . Suffice to say it in the security services. Very disappointing. I have even bought my own modem only to find out that NBN Co will not push the settings though. Perhaps I should just go back to the US. Ps i use the same VPN provider with my mobile data account without issue on the Telstra network

BasilDV

Hi @fionaieraci,

Thanks for the information.

The Mobile data network is using an entirely different infrastructure compared to the NBN service.

When you said that the modem is overheating, are you pertaining to the NBN NTD Box (ARRIS)?

Did you check with your VPN provider if there's any port that needs to be opened?

Kind regards,

BasilDV

fionaieraci
Level 3
I know that the mobile network use a different network and the arris modem and no regarding opening a port
Will

Hi @fionaieraci,

When you mention that the Arris box is overheating, are you saying that the equipment becomes unbearable to touch?

Also, just to clarify on the comparison you made regarding the speeds you get with and without the VPN, did you use different routers for the tests or did you simply turn off the VPN? The reason why I'm asking this is because you have previous posts wherein you mentioned you have more than 1 router.

Regards,