TPG Community

Get online support

Why do systems detect I am in different states?

SOLVED Go to solution
Rev98
Level 2

For the last few months when sites try to detect where my location is, they return with either WA or SA as my state.

This frustrating.  I am in Melbourne, so why is my location being detected as SA (currently) or WA (a few weeks ago).

I was building up a Linux pc the other day and it automatically set my location to SA. 

Anyone know why this is happening?

I have a Mailchimp account and just logged into it and got an email saying that someone from SA with my IP address logged into the account???? But this was me and I am not in SA.

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
grs1961
Level 3

It's because the IP adresses that used to belong to the various ISPs got tossed into the bucked and get doled out randomly by the NBN systems, I have been in Queensland a few times, and parts of norther NSW as well, all whicle safely ensconced in Melbourne.  :-)

Geolocation by IP address has always been unreliable, it's just worse now.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
grs1961
Level 3

It's because the IP adresses that used to belong to the various ISPs got tossed into the bucked and get doled out randomly by the NBN systems, I have been in Queensland a few times, and parts of norther NSW as well, all whicle safely ensconced in Melbourne.  :-)

Geolocation by IP address has always been unreliable, it's just worse now.

Jim_T
Level 2

I have the same problem but it is only a bit frustrating, is not actually causing any problems as I can redirect google to where I need it. The most frustrating part is using streaming tv services like i7 or 9now as those services rely on geolocation address for advertisements - so I get to see all Adelaide adverts!