TPG Community

Get online support

Phone problem after NBN was installed

SOLVED Go to solution
frankyr
Level 2

Since my NBN was fully activated yesterday 19 Nov 2019, when I dial a number on my home phone there is 8 seconds of silence before my phone connects to the phone I am calling. Before it used to connect immediately or at most after 1 second. What could be causing this delay?

Incoming calls instead are normal, that is, when I call my home phone from my mobile phone it connects immediately.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
frankyr
Level 2

BasilDV

I FOUND A SOLUTION TO MY 8 SECONDS POST-DIAL DELAY IN VOIP.

You are correct in saying that I counted to (5 or) 6 while I was speaking with my assigned Engineer but I just counted roughly "off my head", not using an instrument to measure the delay. If I remember rightly the Engineer told me she had counted 5 and that a 5 seconds was the normal delay for VoIP so I assumed she had counted 5 seconds exactly. At this stage I was satisfied that all was normal and accepted that my case was solved. Thus the text message was sent to me.

However when I tried again by phoning my mobile with the hand phones (one corded & one uncorded) there was still a 8 second delay.

Before installing the NBN I had read quite a lot about it, including "All you need to know about the NBN" and "FAQ" but nowhere did I find a mention about the delay for VoIP. Had it been mentioned I would probably not have bothered to worry about the delay I was experiencing.

I'm quite sure that many other people knew nothing about this 5 sec delay if, like me, they had never used VoIP on their home phones before. I only heard of it for the first time from your Engineer. Later last night I googled "Post-dial delay in VoIP" and DID find it mentioned and the causes etc .....

In a forum a person mentioned adding a hash sign (#) at the end of the number you are dialling might help improve the delay. Today I tried it and successfully cut my delay time from 8 long seconds to approx 4 seconds which is a great improvement and now sounds normal when I'm making a call. If you have the same problem as mine I hope this will work for you.

Thank you.

I must add that I have been a TPG customer since dial-up internet and have been very satisfied with their Customer Care & Technical Support.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
frankyr
Level 2

I meant to say that this happened after my NBN BUNDLE was activated. Before the NBN was installed my home phone worked normally.

BasilDV

Hi @frankyr,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and tested the line, but was not able to detect any fault.

Make sure that the home phone/ handset is connected directly to the designated port on your modem/router without a splitter/filter.

We will refresh the connection remotely and you may try to test the outgoing calls again after 30 minutes.

If it's still not working, you may try these troubleshooting steps:

• Turn Off and On the modem/router
  • Change the phone cable to connect the handset
  • Lastly, reset the modem/router. (Press the reset button for 30 seconds)

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

frankyr
Level 2

I did what you suggested but phoned TPG technical support before resetting the modem router. After carrying out some phone tests which didn't work the issue was passed on to the TPG engineers. Today I got a phone call from TPG saying they had reconfigured my router, tried phone test again but with no success.

The customer care person said nothing else can be done and that this issue is a common one and NORMAL because it takes that number of seconds (they said 5, I counted 8 secs) for the phone to connect via the internet.

i then got a text message saying "Our tests show your service is now operating OK. Your fault ticket will be closed. If issues persists pls reply to SMS & we will call you".
THE END.

I'M WONDERING WHY THEY DON'T TELL YOU THIS IS NORMAL BEFOREHAND IF IT IS NORMAL INSTEAD OF AFTER ???

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW COMMON & NORMAL THIS ISSUE REALLY IS BY ASKING OTHER COMMUNITY MEMBERS IF THEY HAVE or HAVE HAD THIS SAME ISSUE. PLEASE REPLY IF YOU DO or DID.

THANK YOU ALL

BasilDV

Hi @frankyr,

The normal ring delay for the VoIP is 5 to 6 seconds only, but since you've advised that the delay was 8 seconds, which is why it was tested by our Tech team and finally, the case was escalated to our Engineers for further checking.

We've reviewed the notes from our Engineers and it appears that you've counted the ring delay while you were speaking with your assigned Engineer and counted 5 to 6 seconds of delay. In the second test, the assigned Engineer counted 5 seconds.

Did you try to test the ring delay again? Is it consistent 8 second delay?

BasilDV

frankyr
Level 2

BasilDV

I FOUND A SOLUTION TO MY 8 SECONDS POST-DIAL DELAY IN VOIP.

You are correct in saying that I counted to (5 or) 6 while I was speaking with my assigned Engineer but I just counted roughly "off my head", not using an instrument to measure the delay. If I remember rightly the Engineer told me she had counted 5 and that a 5 seconds was the normal delay for VoIP so I assumed she had counted 5 seconds exactly. At this stage I was satisfied that all was normal and accepted that my case was solved. Thus the text message was sent to me.

However when I tried again by phoning my mobile with the hand phones (one corded & one uncorded) there was still a 8 second delay.

Before installing the NBN I had read quite a lot about it, including "All you need to know about the NBN" and "FAQ" but nowhere did I find a mention about the delay for VoIP. Had it been mentioned I would probably not have bothered to worry about the delay I was experiencing.

I'm quite sure that many other people knew nothing about this 5 sec delay if, like me, they had never used VoIP on their home phones before. I only heard of it for the first time from your Engineer. Later last night I googled "Post-dial delay in VoIP" and DID find it mentioned and the causes etc .....

In a forum a person mentioned adding a hash sign (#) at the end of the number you are dialling might help improve the delay. Today I tried it and successfully cut my delay time from 8 long seconds to approx 4 seconds which is a great improvement and now sounds normal when I'm making a call. If you have the same problem as mine I hope this will work for you.

Thank you.

I must add that I have been a TPG customer since dial-up internet and have been very satisfied with their Customer Care & Technical Support.

BasilDV

Thank you for sharing this information, @frankyr.

Cheers!

BasilDV