TPG Community

Get online support

5ghz wifi loses connection archer vr1600v

chicaneau
Level 4

Thanks @Shane, given the number of people affected by this issue (mentioned previously) it looks bigger than an isolated case.

Has a case been logged with TP-Link in regards to it? 

This modem is not fit for pupose as it currently stands.

chicaneau
Level 4

Any update @plane_bathroom? This is so frustrating.

Shane

Hi @chicaneau,

We're able to confirm that there's no known issue with our supplied TP-Link VR1600.

This has been raised to our Engineering Team for the additional reference on the ongoing investigation and assessment on this particular issue.

One of our Engineers also tried to contact you today for the updates unfortunately no avail. Please confirm your best contact number and preferred time and we'll have contact you again.

Regards,

Thanks @Shane, given the number of people affected by this issue (mentioned previously) it looks bigger than an isolated case.

Has a case been logged with TP-Link in regards to it? 

This modem is not fit for pupose as it currently stands.

chicaneau
Level 4

Hi Shane,

I can see there is no official acknowledgement, but many users are experiencing the exact same issue. 

I've already replied to the SMS but yet to hear back. They can call back on the same number.

Regards,

Shane

Hi @chicaneau,

Expect our Engineers to contact you within 30mins-1hr from now.

Let us know how it will go and should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Hi Shane,

I can see there is no official acknowledgement, but many users are experiencing the exact same issue. 

I've already replied to the SMS but yet to hear back. They can call back on the same number.

Regards,

surrid
Level 3

@chicaneau @Shane Agreed that it can't be defined as an isolated issue if 9 people experience the same problem, but I can say in our particular case that it seemed to self-resolve after while. I.e., we set it up out of the box as instructed (our second unit, the first had been replaced because they didn't know what else to do), and the 5ghz drop out issue stopped occuring after a while, without doing anything special. Manually changing the wifi name (SSID) and/or password seemed to bring the issue on, too. So we didn't do that with our second unit... and the 5ghz seems to be ok now, several months in.

chicaneau
Level 4

@surrid thanks for your reply. Are you able to do a series of speedtest.net tests (3 or more)? Often one test will complete OK, but doing a few more will cause the 5GHz to stop working.

chicaneau
Level 4

@Shane today the 2.4GHz did exactly the same thing (but then recovered). I have saved the router logs in case your Engineering team is interested in viewing them. 

surrid
Level 3

@chicaneau @Shane Just after I wrote that last reply, I then went on to write a lengthy message about how I was mistaken, and actually the problem wasn't at all rectified! I may have accidentally deleted the message, but I hope there isn't any fishy message deleting going on by the mods! In summary, I tried a speedtest (speedtest.net) and the 5ghz wifi immediately fails as it gets to the upload part. The device then cannot reconnect to it, and cites an "authentication error". The 2.4ghz wifi continues to work fine. Only restarting the router then fixes it. Very frustrating - I hope this can be made a priority otherwise I will be pursuing a discount on my bill! It is clearly not performing acceptably. 

jls
Level 3
Level 3
Hi

I’m experiencing this same issue. Been with TPG for ages and never had an issue. Then moved house, signed up for a new account at my new address* and received a new modem which is exhibiting the 5G drop out. Exactly the same as described by all other users on this thread.

Interesting thing is the old modem which never had this issue was also an Archer vr1600 but V1. New one is v2.

* Both connections needed to overlap for a month as we were between homes