TPG Community

Get online support

5ghz wifi loses connection archer vr1600v

BasilDV

Hi @jls

Welcome to the Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and will arrange a call from our Tech team to check in this case further.

We used the phone number on the account and they'll be in touch with you tomorrow between 6PM - 7PM.

Stay safe.

BasilDV

chicaneau
Level 4

@BasilDV, You do realise this is a device specific issue? This modem/router model is causing a lot of headaches.

Don't waste customers time suggesting setting manual channels. This is the equivalent of pissing in the wind. 

Time for your company to come clean and be honest - these modems have defective 5GHz WiFi, be it either caused by a hardware or firmware bug. 

I'm getting lip service almost every other day from TPG customer service but nothing confidence inspiring that they are interested in actually SOLVING this issue.

These are not fit for purpose and a class action may be in order. 

chicaneau
Level 4

All,

I have some great news. I raised this formally with support as well, they just got back to me asking to test the connction again on 5GHz WiFi. They have pushed a new firmware update (version details below) and the problem is now fixed! I can do do 5 speedtest.net tests in a row and the connection is rock solid, 5GHz does not drop out at all.

Old Version:
Firmware Version:1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

New Version:
Firmware Version:1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200826 Rel.77218n
 Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

Good luck, check your versions and contact support and request for the new new firmware to be pushed out to your device as well.
jls
Level 3
Level 3
Hi thanks for the offer. Your technicians called a little while ago but the call dropped and they have not called back...

I understand there’s a new version of the firmware. Can you please have someone call me to upgrade my device? I’m on firmware 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n
Shane

Hi @jls,

We chased this with our Technical Team and arranged another call tomorrow between 10-12NN AEST. On the other hand, we requested a firmware upgrade for the modem/router.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Hi thanks for the offer. Your technicians called a little while ago but the call dropped and they have not called back...

I understand there’s a new version of the firmware. Can you please have someone call me to upgrade my device? I’m on firmware 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n
surrid
Level 3

Hi @Shane - could I get the same please? I'm on firmware 1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n - and I presume the updated vers needs to be pushed to the router at your end? If it's the only way to fix, it should be automatic though, not by individual request Smiley Wink

surrid
Level 3

Good news @chicaneau - thanks for coming back to the forum to share your good outcome! 

Shane

Hi @surrid,

We requested a firmware upgrade to the modem/router we'll provide you a feedback when it becomes available.

We'd like to set your expectation that the new firmware version might not be available to the modem/router we supplied for TPG-FTTB. We provide separate firmware for TPG-NBN and TPG-FTTB.

Regards,

Hi @Shane - could I get the same please? I'm on firmware 1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n - and I presume the updated vers needs to be pushed to the router at your end? If it's the only way to fix, it should be automatic though, not by individual request Smiley Wink

jls
Level 3
Level 3

Hi @Shane ,

I just received the call from TPG. The woman I spoke to said her team is not aware of any new firmware, and does not offer firmware updates. She offered to send a technician to check the connection but that is contingent on both approval from her managers, and the technician being able to come given Covid lockdown.

Can I just check a few facts:

1. I'm assuming you speak officiall yfor TPG (i.e you are an employee). Is that correct?
2. Is there in fact a new firmware version?

3. Who can provide this? It's not on the manufacturer's website so I'm assuming it's TPG.

4. How do I go about getting this from TPG? Is anything required at my end or can the change be made remotely by TPG?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Shane

Hi @jls,

I apologise for the confusion, our technical team do not handle firmware upgrades for the modem/router.

1. I'm assuming you speak officiall yfor TPG (i.e you are an employee). Is that correct? Yes
2. Is there in fact a new firmware version? - I raised this to our Engineering Team and currently awaiting confirmation if there is a new firmware version from our supplied modem/router.

3. Who can provide this? It's not on the manufacturer's website so I'm assuming it's TPG. - We do optimized our own supplied modem/router and the firmware should come from us.

4. How do I go about getting this from TPG? Is anything required at my end or can the change be made remotely by TPG? - For firmware upgrade we only advise to leave the modem/router on and connected and our Engineering Team will do it remotely.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,