TPG Community

Get online support

5ghz wifi loses connection archer vr1600v

SteveK
Level 5

@Falex

Yes, I had a similar issue a couple of months back.. fixed it the same way.

5GHZ - channel 44 - width 40 - high transmit power

The only thing I would do if I was you is change it from 38000 to 39900... should be sweeter still.

reboot the modem.... then speedtest here:

https://au-syd-speedtest01.urlnetworks.net/

Falex
Level 3

@SteveK 

There might be some different outcomes that are specific to the router's pysical location and/or FTTB config.

I changed my router's settings to your recommended settings and rebooted.

I could still perform any number of Speed Tests without "killing" 5GHz.

However, my Speed Test results on all 5Ghz devices were now very, very slow eg. on one of my Apple TVs I was getting Ping 14ms Download 1.3Mbps (yes, 1.3Mbps) Upload 36.7Mbps.  My iPhone was getting half it's normal download speeds.

I returned my router's settings to my previous settings ie. Upstream 38000, 5Ghz Channel "Auto" & 5GHz Channel Width "Auto" and rebooted the router.

My 5GHz Speed Test results on all devices now achieves maximum performance results eg. the Apple TV (the furthest device from the router) now gets Ping 14ms Download 92.8Mbps Upload 36.6Mbps.

SteveK
Level 5

@Falex 

Yes very true... everyones wifi environ is unique as you never know what frequencies are already congested. Could be other peoples modems transmitting or things like rollerdoors and security sensors nearby etc...

They are the best settings for my environ - but its fantastic that you have finally found that 'sweet spot' for your home and are getting a really good speed outcome now.

cheers

DavidGC
Level 3

@Falex wrote:

He suggested we try a higher value.  In the Bandwidth Control page of the Advanced settings of the router, he checked “Enable” and then in the field for Total Upstream Bandwidth, he entered a value of 38000 (only 2958Kbps less than 40958Kbps).  He clicked “Save” and we rebooted the router.  I have attached a screenshot of the enabled & updated Bandwidth Control page.

@DavidGC If you’re reading this, I hope this helps you too!

Thanks very much for documenting your experiences so thoroughly.

In my case, I had previously tried the "5GHZ - channel 44 - width 40 - high transmit power" configuration, but it did not fix my issue. I additionally used WiFiAnalyzer to see other nearby networks operating on 5GHz and tried several channels with relatively low interference, but those configurations didn't help either.

I will give your configuration a try in the coming days.

Since December 3rd (when I set my fan to ventilate the device constantly), I have not experienced this issue again.

I try to be methodical in my testing, so I'll first need to disconnect the fan and then wait until the problem surfaces again with the current configuration. Then I'll change the configuration to match what you've posted (e.g., in your photo) and see if the problem goes away without having the fan running.

I'll try to remember to report back what happens.

Thanks again for your post!

drewidd1
Level 3

Hi Basil, 

I believe on my third Modem, the latest one has finally completly failed on the 5ghz frequency.

Could someone please contact me about yet another modem replacement. surley there must have been some internal discussion about this junk piece of hardware by now?.

BasilDV

Hi @drewidd1

We've raised this with our Tech team for further checking and process a replacement if necessary.

Someone will be in touch within 2PM to 4PM today.

BasilDV

drewidd1
Level 3
so was contacted by tech support this afternoon. it has been 12 months since i first signed up to tpg. the tech support said my modem (original one) is out of warranty.
My third replacement is only 3 months old or there abouts.
so due to this i need to pay for a replacement modem at the tune of $100.
Which will get me one of these tplink modems that have constantly failed for me and it would seem many others if this forum is anything to go by.
So i pay $100 for a replacement which if history is anything to go by should break in 3 odd months then i will have to spend another $100 for a replacement again and again and again??
I can not understand how you can keep giving me the same modem and expecting a different result, and jow your saying i have to pay for it?
BasilDV

Hi @drewidd1

Based on the note, our Tech team offered you a free modem and you'll just be paying for the $10 shipping fee to replace your device.

We don't provide faulty equipment as some of our customers don't experience the said issue.

We understand that this case has been escalated and you'll be contacted within the week for further discussion.

Stay safe.

BasilDV

drewidd1
Level 3
thanks for the response.
yes he did offer this once I expressed there was no way i would be paying for a replacement, under the same argument/reasoning i will not be paying for postage either.
I will update after I am recontacted this week.
cheers
SGT
Level 3
Level 3
We've given up on having 5ghz in our house, which is ridiculous as it's something we pay for. Pay a lot for.

Every few weeks I'd reset the modem to get 5ghz back, and then it'd disappear a day/hours/couple of days later.

So in the end I've just given up.
TPG obviously don't want to admit this is a wide-scale issue.

So what do we do? Ombudsman?