TPG Community

Get online support

Amazon Eero Mesh Compatibility

sumanregmi45
Level 2
Hi, I am a TPG FTTB user and was provided with TP link router. Since the range of the router is not very good, I was thinking of buying Amazon Eero Mesh. But i read the review that eero mesh doesn’t work with the system. Is that true? What do you suggest? Thanks.
24 REPLIES 24
Shane

Hi @sumanregmi45 ,

We do not have information on how to set up Eero Mesh or recommend any specific brand. But we can provide basic settings on how to set up 3rd party / extension routers also we suggest to check on google best router extension that will fit the environment of the house.

Regards,

sumanregmi45
Level 2

Hi Shane,

I don't understand too much of technical things. But I have read that Eero doesn't support VLAN tagging and PPoE and have to be tweaked somehow to be used with TPG and other ISPs like iiNet. So, I just wanted to make sure what are these things and what tweak has to be done to use Eero? Thanks.

Shane

Hi @sumanregmi45,

We do not have information on how to configure or set up Eero mesh. But here are some threads that we have here in our community about setting up 3rd party mesh.

See links below.

Regards,

flavable
Level 2
Are you guys able to investigate the comparability of eero and other top mesh routers so we can determine what we can buy that works with your system?
flavable
Level 2
It's confusing because Basil has said it should work. But it's a very ambiguous 'should'. Any clarity?
BasilDV

Hi @flavable

For the type of Mesh equipment that you'll purchase will depend on the structure of your premises.

Also, we can only provide basic configuration and troubleshooting for the device to work with our system.

Any advance or capability of the said devices, you may need to contact the equipment manufacturer.

BasilDV

avt85
Level 4

hey @sumanregmi45 

i've got the eero 6 mesh setup at my place with tpg.
I can assist where needed, if you stil need advise that is.

avt85
Level 4

basically for tpg internet which uses pppoe

1. You wont be able to plug in the cable directly to the eero (it only supports pppoa) for the internet to work.
you still need *any* modem that supports pppoe.

2. yuou ca nsetup the eero with your nbn modem either in bridge or double nat.

3. i had bridge mode configured but found I wasnt able to take advantage of teh full features of the eero. So i ended up double natting.

4. Will it be slow with double nat?

NO. as long as you got your configuration right (turn off wifi and other non essential i nthe ndnb modem) and are not using a 5year old nbn modem. you wont even notice it is there.

5. is it still worth usign the eero?

absolutely, i got the eero pro 6 mesh and the speeds, routing capability and wifi6 far exceeds the drawback of having to use a nbn modem separately.

any items missed, let me know what you need clarification, happy to assist.

Hk_syd
Level 3
Hi yes I would like some info from you.

I am with TPG NBN network with a Archer VR1600v modem/router from Tp-link.

I bought an Eero 6 mesh system (3pack).

Eero router connected to Tp-Link modem/router. Wifi from Tp-Link is off - I always had it off as I previously used Apple Airport devices for Wifi without any issues.

DHCP enabled on modem/router.
Connection just intermittently drops on Ethernet and Wifi.

I tried the following before resetting it all back to default as they all failed.
1. Disable DHCP so the Eero hands out IP - no luck

2. Couldn’t set modem to Bridge mode. (NBN)

3. Tried turning on uplink VLAN in ISP settings in Eero set up. It had issues but after resetting the modem - it seems stable.

However, connectivity drops.

I have read a lot of forums that say since TPG uses PPPOE and VLAN tagging they aren’t the right ISP for the new technologies like EERO.

Help!

If this doesn’t work I will need to just return the EERO or change ISP.