TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v Slow 2.4Ghz

reiito
Level 2

Our modem has extremely low 2.4ghz range and not sure what can be done. The strange thing is 5Ghz is working fine but our devices that can only connect via 2.4Ghz are struggling to get a signal. Wondering if a firmware update is needed but we can' use some devices in the rooms where they are placed so need a fix ASAP.

Modem Details Are:

Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.56416n

Hardware Version: Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

17 REPLIES 17
Riezl

Hi @reiito,

For customers experiencing any issues with their service, we recommend the best thing to do first is check if there's an outage.

Check our Service Status page for any known outages.

If you're on NBN, we have created this article that can guide you on How to Check for NBN Network Outage

If there are no known outages in your area, you can proceed with the troubleshooting steps indicated on this link : Troubleshooting No Internet Connection

If the issue is particular with the Wi-Fi, we have also created these articles that may help address the concerns raised:

Feel free to search community for help or contact us and we'd be glad to assist you.

reiito
Level 2

I've tried both guides but nothing worked. Our 5Ghz wireless connections are fine with no hitches but it's just our devices that can only use 2.4Ghz facing problems. Is there a chance to get a replacement router?

Meije
Level 2

Just found this after making a seach myself. I have the exact same issue. I am using the same modem and my 5GHz band delivers ~90Mbps download whereas the 2.4Ghz sits between 2 to 5Mbps and barely seem to work.

I am on FTTP M plan. Not sure if there could be a hardware issue with the modem or a setting that screw the signal. Would appreciate help from TPG.

mannysingh14
Level 2

Hi,

Im getting the exact same issue. 2.4ghz is only working within 1-4metres. Anything further than that and the connection drops to about 1-5mbps. Noting i am on the 50/20 plan. 

5ghz and ethernet are working okay (30mbps) so it appears to be a modem issue. Any further advice on this from TPG ?

I have devices that cannot detect 5ghz so are unable to be used. My Telstra NBN modem reached every inch of my house. A little dissapointing to be honest. 

Riezl

Hi @mannysingh14, we have created this community article, which may help in improving your Wi-Fi connection. Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

If the issue persists after following the steps, please PM us your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account and check further.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community 

Ken-C

HI there  mannysingh14.

Given the issues you have mentioned in regards o the 2.4ghz frequency i would first suggest looking at the possibility of Electromagnetic or Radio interference causing upset to that frequency.

It is possible somethin in your home and near the modem may be effecting the frequency and given its only the 2.4ghz it is much more likely to suffer from interference over the 5ghz.

Have a quick look at the links below they may help in changing the channel on the 2.4ghz frequency that may resolve it and or relocate your modem to another area if possible . 

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why-...

hope that helps, see how you go Smiley Happy

Kind regards 

mannysingh14
Level 2

Hi @Riezl @Ken-C 

Thankyou for your responses. I have previously reviewed both articles and was somewhat able to sligtly increase my speed by changing the channels. As for the interference, there is no electronic devices in that room or nearby other than the phone (which i have turned off and tested with also). My Telstra modem use to sit in the same position with no issues regarding wifi range etc. 

I cannot also change all devices to 5ghz as they are not supported.

Is it possible for you to do a line test on your end or provide any further information noting that i am on the 50/20 plan, and getting a maximum of 3/4 of those speeds. (both on 2.4ghz and 5ghz / and ethernet)

If not, i may have to raise with a technician. 

Any help would be appreciated Smiley Happy

Manny

BasilDV

Hi @mannysingh14

We'd like to arrange a call from our Tech team to check with your service further.

Please send me a PM with your preferred time and best number to be contacted.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

BasilDV

Rezsdofe
Level 2
I have the exact same issue. Please let me know if you have found a solution. I’ve get a replacement modem and it has the same issue. Weird. Must be a bad batch. I think TPG should return all these modems as faulty to tplink. At this stage customer service running out of ideas and trying to convince me that it is normal. I has my 2.4ghz Optus modem are exact same spot and had no issues on cable. I only changed to nbn to get faster upload speed now I have slow download.. my work video conferences are really bad on 2.4 but works perfectly on 5g.