TPG Community

Get online support

Deny after multiple logon attempts on the Archer VR1600v ?

SOLVED Go to solution
kendra69
Level 2

Does the TPG supplied NBN Router Archer VR1600v have a setting where I can block further logon attempts after X tries ?

Just in case my neighbours or anyone nearby tries to brute force login..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@kendra69 . You can use a phrase for the wifi password rather than just 8 numbers.

Or try this:

8. 3. Access Control
Access Control is used to block or allow specific client devices to access your network (via wired or wireless) based on a list of blocked devices (Blacklist) or a list of allowed devices (Whitelist).
1. Log in to the web management of the router (192.168.1.1).
2. Go to Advanced > Security > Access Control and enable Access Control.

3. Select the access mode to either block (recommended) or allow the device(s) in the list.
To block specific device(s)
1 ) Select Blacklist and click Save.
2 ) Select the device(s) to be blocked in the Online Devices table.
3 ) Click Block above the Online Devices table. The selected devices will be added to Devices in Blacklist automatically.
To allow specific device(s)
1 ) Select Whitelist and click Save.
2 ) Click Add.

3 ) Enter the Device Name and MAC Address (You can copy and paste the information from Devices Online table if the device is connected to your network).
4 ) Click Save.

You are wanting to whitelist all your devices, wired and wifi.

If anything goes wrong, a factory reset will clear ALL settings. You may need to re-enter the internet settings again.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
orbistat
Level 8
@kendra69 wrote:

Does the TPG supplied NBN Router Archer VR1600v have a setting where I can block further logon attempts after X tries ?

Just in case my neighbours or anyone nearby tries to brute force login..

Hi @kendra69 No it doesn't, if it did you would be prevented from logging in yourself, just choose a strong password.

david64
Level 15

@kendra69 . You can use a phrase for the wifi password rather than just 8 numbers.

Or try this:

8. 3. Access Control
Access Control is used to block or allow specific client devices to access your network (via wired or wireless) based on a list of blocked devices (Blacklist) or a list of allowed devices (Whitelist).
1. Log in to the web management of the router (192.168.1.1).
2. Go to Advanced > Security > Access Control and enable Access Control.

3. Select the access mode to either block (recommended) or allow the device(s) in the list.
To block specific device(s)
1 ) Select Blacklist and click Save.
2 ) Select the device(s) to be blocked in the Online Devices table.
3 ) Click Block above the Online Devices table. The selected devices will be added to Devices in Blacklist automatically.
To allow specific device(s)
1 ) Select Whitelist and click Save.
2 ) Click Add.

3 ) Enter the Device Name and MAC Address (You can copy and paste the information from Devices Online table if the device is connected to your network).
4 ) Click Save.

You are wanting to whitelist all your devices, wired and wifi.

If anything goes wrong, a factory reset will clear ALL settings. You may need to re-enter the internet settings again.

kendra69
Level 2

Ok, I'll go for the first option...

In your second option, It appears only Allowed-list is useful because we can find the MAC address in advance, and block everything else. (I am avoiding BL and WL just to be politically correct :-)