TPG Community

Get online support

Google Nest (Again...) - Specifically, works for ages then stops

gibsoncx
Level 3
Hi all,

I've had a read of previous posts here on this, and followed instructions - Google nest is plugged into the white TPG router, Wifi turned off on the TPG one, checked on Google Home that the nest is DHCP.

All worked brilliantly for a while - super fast across whole house. However several times a day, all devices lose internet simultaneously... all showing solid wifi connected to the nest, but none are getting any internet.

Turning everything off and on at the wall (including the Arris box) tends to solve it - but it doesn't last long before the same thing happens.

From previous threads it sounds like there might be a somewhat more complicated issue here than just getting the right cables in the right ports - especially because while it's working, it's terrific.

Anyone got suggestions beyond this point? eg. Is there an option to plug google direct into Arris (worked fine in Singapore)? Should I be playing around with IP addresses? Does utilising the Guest network make any difference?

Thanks for any tips!
8 REPLIES 8
Shane

Hi @gibsoncx 

We do not have information on how to set up Google Net but there are some threads that you may find helpful related to this please see links below.

Let us know how it will go and should you require further assistance.

Regards,

gibsoncx
Level 3

@Shane thanks for the links.

So far the one I'm running with is tucked away at the bottom of that last thread:

Thunderbolt has a solution where you access the TPG router and change it to bridge mode, then plug your google nest into LAN Port 1 on the TPG router.

I'm going to give it a few days to see if this has really solved things or not, but fingers crossed it doesn't drop out like before.

(Nb. If any folks are following this and similarly frustrated / confused - if this does work, I'll try to do a more 'plain english' explanation of what you need to do, because it's quite simple, but probably a bit daunting if you've never mucked around with your router settings before).  And it irritates me that loads of people have invested money in Google Nest only to have problems.

gibsoncx
Level 3
Well that one doesn't work. Same experience - internet was fabulous all evening but overnight it stopped getting internet even though the Google WiFi was still on and strong. Switching off and on at wall makes it work again.
Shane

Hi @gibsoncx,

Thanks for the additional details. I would like to know if you have tried to isolate the Google Nest and use our supplied modem/router alone to see if the dropouts still persist. 

I ran an initial test to the service it shown a series of dropouts from the modem/router's connection to our network, I assume that's when you rebooted the modem/router last night.

Regards,

Well that one doesn't work. Same experience - internet was fabulous all evening but overnight it stopped getting internet even though the Google WiFi was still on and strong. Switching off and on at wall makes it work again.
gibsoncx
Level 3
We've used the TPG router alone on a number of occasions, and it's fine - I think there's been only one dropout on that I can recall. The problem with it is it's wifi reach across the house isn't quite enough.

With the Google Nest the reach is way better but we get the drops where the internet stops.

Not sure about the specific ones you've detected: we had the Nest working fine last night at bedtime, lost the internet at some point overnight, and rebooted it (ie. turned off power to Arris / TPG / Nest) this morning around 7am. It's actually stayed on all day via Nest with no issue... interested to see if it is still working in the morning.
Shane

Hi @gibsoncx,

Thanks for the additional details, Is there a computer/laptop connected directly to the modem/router? I would like to know if the dropout from the Google Nest is from its Wi-Fi itself but not from the connection of the modem/router.

Because in the event its only the Wi-Fi of the Google Nest is acting up it could probably a Wireless Interference that causes dropouts.

Here is an articles that you may find helpful, 

Note: The guide might have our supplied modem/router as an example but it these troubleshooting should apply to all other Wireless Router.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

We've used the TPG router alone on a number of occasions, and it's fine - I think there's been only one dropout on that I can recall. The problem with it is it's wifi reach across the house isn't quite enough.

With the Google Nest the reach is way better but we get the drops where the internet stops.

Not sure about the specific ones you've detected: we had the Nest working fine last night at bedtime, lost the internet at some point overnight, and rebooted it (ie. turned off power to Arris / TPG / Nest) this morning around 7am. It's actually stayed on all day via Nest with no issue... interested to see if it is still working in the morning.
gibsoncx
Level 3
Hi @Shane, no there is nothing else connected to the TPG router apart from the Google Nest. All devices are using WiFi rather than a LAN cable.

Overnight the Nest Wifi stopped receiving internet somewhere between 10.15pm and 6.20am.

Thanks for the info re interference.
Shane

Hi @gibsoncx,

Thanks for the additional details. I will arrange one of our Technicians to contact you for real-time test and investigation, please confirm your best contact number and preferred time.

Regards,

Hi @Shane, no there is nothing else connected to the TPG router apart from the Google Nest. All devices are using WiFi rather than a LAN cable.

Overnight the Nest Wifi stopped receiving internet somewhere between 10.15pm and 6.20am.

Thanks for the info re interference.