TPG Community

Get online support

How to Set Up Your Home Wireless Broadband Modem and 5G Home Broadband Modem

tdw77
Level 2

Good morning,

I received my 5G Sagemcom Fast 5866T modem yesterday.  I want to use it as a modem only and continue to use my Netgear Orbi Wi-Fi mesh around the house.  Can I confirm how I plug my 5G modem into the Wi-fi mesh.

Do I run the supplied ethernet cable from the red LAN/WAN plug on the 5G modem to the INTERNET port on my Netgear mesh?

Thanks.

BasilDV

Hi @tdw77

Welcome to the Community!

Make sure that your mesh device is configured as an access point only and the internet configuration remains with the 5G modem/router.

For an access point, it usually connected to the LAN port only. But you may try first to connect it to the LAN/WAN if it will work, if not then try the LAN port.

You may contact netgear support for further assistance as we only have basic information.

BasilDV

Epyc
Level 3

Hi TPG,

I just received my Sagemcom Fast 5866T 5G Modem today as part of the TPG 5G Home Broadband Plan.

Everything is working fantastic, however there is a *MAJOR BUG* within the current Firmware Version SGJy100058 (Hardware Version 1.0).

After you have logged in 192.168.1.1 to change the Admin Password (to your own) and also change the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi SSID and Password (to your own) within a few minutes of those settings saving and taking effect, the home page 192.168.1.1 no longer shows the links to "Ethernet" or "WiFi 2.4Ghz" or "WiFi 5Ghz" Settings and you can no longer access them, unless you Factory Reset the device.

TPG please contact Sagemcom ASAP and get them to provide us with a fixed, updated Firmware for the Sagemcom Fast 5866T modem.

BasilDV

Hi @Epyc

Thanks for raising this with us.

We'd like to raise this with our team to test and request for a new firmware once confirmed.

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to assist you accordingly.

BasilDV

ndcuong
Level 2

Thanks for your post Epyc. I was about to change the password on my modem.

ndcuong
Level 2

Hi TPG,

I'd like to change the Wi-Fi network name on my Sagemcom Fast 5866T 5G Modem. I went through all sections in 192.168.1.1 but could not find where to do this. Could you please help me out?

Thank you.

BasilDV

Hi @ndcuong

Welcome to the Community!

Once inside the modem interface, you may click the WiFi 2.4GHz or 5GHz band in it.

You'll be able to change the settings inside.

If you can't locate it, please post a screenshot of what you are seeing for us to confirm if we are looking at the one.

BasilDV

Epyc
Level 3

Hey mate,

I've already raised this with their Tech Support over the phone (and this forum) that I have now discovered 2x *MAJOR FIRMWARE ISSUES* in their Sagemcom F@st 5866T 5G Modem. I need to actually speak with one of the TPG Engineers who work with this Modem directly... not someone at Level 1 Tech Support asking me "how many green bars do I see?"

First Firmware Issue:

* Shortly after first time use of this modem, then logging into 192.168.1.1 the Network configuration settings pages for 'Ethernet' and 'WiFi' completely dissapear and are no longer accessible... even if you try to access them via a direct link such as 192.168.1.1/#/wifi/5GHz/priv/basic

Second Firmware Issue:

* 5G speeds become absolutely terrible after the modem has been on for approx 24 hours. This is consistently happening since day 1 of receiving my 5G Modem. My speeds drop from 350Mbps to 10-20Mbps, ping becomes terrible and upload speed is non-existant.

At first I thought my plan speeds was being incorrectly "shaped" for some reason, however this is not the case. I've factory reset the modem multiple times, even relocated it 3 times and the same issues happen. Even tried 4x different speed test websites (all results consistent when my 5G service is either good or bad) -- speedtest.net, fast.com, telstra speedtest and google speedtest.

It was only until I logged into the 5G Modem and went My Sagemcom Box >> Maintenance >> Restart Gateway that my speeds go back to approx 350Mbps after waiting a few mins for the modem to reboot.

Super bloody obvious that this Modem has half-baked Firmware and needs attention ASAP. 

Looks like it's something to do with the Modem being overloaded with the amount of connections / data usage within a certain period... maybe the CPU and RAM are insufficient? Worst case scenario, build in an auto-restart feature within the Firmware to reboot the router 5am every morning. This would be the quickest stop-gap fix.

TPG have been great at calling me multiple times to "check in" and see how my service is going... but every time it's just a Level 1 Tech Support and they simply do not have the knowledge, resources or authority to resolve these issues for me (and other customers).

I'll be making a video about this and posting it on YouTube, hopefully then, someone from TPG will take this issue seriously and actually update the Firmware on this 5G service.

Epyc
Level 3

I've uploaded a video on YouTube showing the issues I'm experiencing with this 5G Modem.

https://youtu.be/PBS6p823oG0

Ahra_G

Hi @Epyc

Thanks for taking the time in uploading and doing a review on our supplied 5G Home Wireless modem!

Our Engineering team has watched the video and hopefully help the team in determining any underlying issue. 

Recent update on the lodged fault also indicated that a replacement modem has been requested. Any updates available will be provided via phone call or SMS. 

Feel free to also reach out to us again should you have further concerns. 

Cheers! 

Ahra_G