TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up a bridge on archer vr1600v.

SOLVED Go to solution
JohnMitch
Level 3

Thanks for the quick response. I have already been able to setup (via LAN) Archer ZR1600v is the primary modem/router and the ASUS DSL AC68U is the secondary router (mode) as a slave.

I need to bridge them via WiFi so I can use the ASUS at the other end of the house where the Solax Inverter is. I would like to know how to setup both for the WiFi bridging.

Thanks

BasilDV

Hi @JohnMitch,

The WDS or WiFi bridging is not possible with your TP-Link VR1600.

This means that you are not able to connect them via Wireless.

You may consider a Mesh network or a longer cable to relocate your ASUS router near the Solax inverter.

Regards,

BasilDV

forrie
Level 2

In case anyone comes across this post, I managed to get pfSense working. The solution is to not over complicate things! If the modem is bridged using VLAN ID 2 then there doesn't seem to be any need to also set up any VLAN on pfSense. I simply put in my username/password into the PPPoE Configuration of the WAN interface and it worked. I haven't tested whether DNS is an issue, but I did check the box in General Setup for "Allow DNS server list to be overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN" but that is all.

gavingroom
Level 3

Is it possible to bridge the Archer VR1600v when using an HFC connection? I ask because the relevant connection information is under EWAN, not DSL where the bridge connection needs to be manually created.

BasilDV

Hi @gavingroom

No, it will not work.

The bridge mode will not work for any NBN Technology that uses NTD/NCD.

Better to use an extender or Mesh system to boost your WiFi connection.

If you decided to use a third party modem/router, then the VoIP phone feature will not work since the settings of it is embedded in the TPG modem firmware.

BasilDV

gavingroom
Level 3

Thanks @BasilDV - I thought this was the case.

I am already using a Google Wifi mesh system plugged into the TP-Link's LAN port. I was hoping to avoid any double NAT situations on my son's Xbox. I will set up port forwarding on my Google Wifi router instead.

BasilDV

Glad to be of assistance, @gavingroom. Cheers!

bgdempsey78
Level 2

Hi Basil

Will this LAN solution for WIFI extension work for an Archer VR1600v modem (supplied by TPG) in a HFC broadband setup?

https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/faq/2655/?utm_medium=select-local

Note: the main primary router in my case is also a Archer VR1600v modem (supplied by TPG at my previous abode).

Shane

Hi @bgdempsey78,

Disabling the TP-Link VR1600's DHCP mode will make the modem/router a standalone router, you may simply connect it to LAN port of your root/main modem.

Note: You may need to set a IP address for the router depending on your root/main modem.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

bgdempsey78
Level 2

Hi Shane

Have applied the instruction however whilst LAN is giving reliable internet access from the extender/AP the WIFI signal is not reliable and drops out on different devices stating 'no internet connection'.

I applied the new IP address as per the TP Link instruction to the AP - with DHCP disabled as advised.

Any suggestions to improve WIFI reliability on AP?