TPG Community

Get online support

Internet Setup: Static IP Connection Type Settings

Jana
Level 2

I have a business plan and have been 'issued' a static IP address. I have been bouncing around on technical support calls trying to get someone to help me configure the tpg modem (TP Link Archer VR1600) to accept this static IP address and not just connect with a dynamic one.

I have been told to change the internet connection type to 'Static IP' in the EWAN section of the Advanced settings to the following:

IP Address: [the Static IP Adress I have been advised over the phone]

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 203.12.160.35

Secoundary DNS: 203.12.160.36

Anyway this is not working and I am getting the error message: 'Error code: 85048 Invalid gateway address. Gateway address must be on the same subnet with the network and the host number cannot be all 0 or all 1 binary values.'

What am I missing?

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @Jana ,

Thanks for the raising this to us. I can confirm that the settings are correct. I would love to help check the status of static IP connection, shoot me a private message with your account detail (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) also the designated Static IP address.

How do I private message (PM) in the community 

Regards,

@Jana wrote:

I have a business plan and have been 'issued' a static IP address. I have been bouncing around on technical support calls trying to get someone to help me configure the tpg modem (TP Link Archer VR1600) to accept this static IP address and not just connect with a dynamic one.

I have been told to change the internet connection type to 'Static IP' in the EWAN section of the Advanced settings to the following:

IP Address: [the Static IP Adress I have been advised over the phone]

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 203.12.160.35

Secoundary DNS: 203.12.160.36

Anyway this is not working and I am getting the error message: 'Error code: 85048 Invalid gateway address. Gateway address must be on the same subnet with the network and the host number cannot be all 0 or all 1 binary values.'

What am I missing?

david64
Level 15

So @Shane . The user has a brand new static ip address and is using the two TPG DNS addresses and is using StaticIP connection type. Would you like to explain why the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 (as opposed to 255.255.255.255) and why the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 (rather than the ip address that shows in the router ewan status). The default gateway is where the router sends frames going to the intenet. (In the same way a computer has a default gateway pointing to the router to send frames.)

Is there a help article explaining the settings for a business plan? I've never seen any posts here about users having a problem with business plan.

Shane

Hi @david64,

I agree, I think there is something wrong on this setup this has been raised to our Technical Team for investigation and currently awaiting response, we'll provide updates on this thread once we got the resolution.

Regards,

So @Shane . The user has a brand new static ip address and is using the two TPG DNS addresses and is using StaticIP connection type. Would you like to explain why the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 (as opposed to 255.255.255.255) and why the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 (rather than the ip address that shows in the router ewan status). The default gateway is where the router sends frames going to the intenet. (In the same way a computer has a default gateway pointing to the router to send frames.)

Is there a help article explaining the settings for a business plan? I've never seen any posts here about users having a problem with business plan.

david64
Level 15

Hi @Jana . Here's something to try unless you have discounted it already. You've probably gone back to the PPPoE settings. Note down the router's ip address and default gateway. Turn router off for 2 minutes and back on. When it has reconnected, check the new ip address. If it is different, you still are on dynamic address. If it is same, it is likely that you are static address, even if different from what TPG said.

drbob
Level 6

There might be a (slim?) chance that although he is on dynamic IP, he gets the same dynamic IP on the second power-up. I guess it all depends on how a dynamic IP is allocated.