TPG Community

Get online support

NAT failed PS5 connection issue

mtecle
Level 2

I recently bought a PS5, I can connect to the internet easily, but some network features don't seem to work. When testing the network, the field labelled as NAT Type gives a "failed" error. I think it's an issue with the home network, because when I try to connect the ps5 to my phone hotspot, the nat type is type 2 as expected. 

I can see that it is a common issue, but I haven't found a solution that works with a huawei hg659, I'm on a fiber to the building network. 

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @mtecle . Check if UPnP is enabled in HG659 LAN interface settings.

It allows the router to accept port forwarding commands from the PS5.

mtecle
Level 2

hey @david64 , thanks for replying. Yeah I did check that and the UPnP option was already checked. I tried to uncheck it, save and check it again but it didn't change anything

david64
Level 15

@mtecle . With PS5 connected to hg659, can you signin to the Playstation network?

mtecle
Level 2

yeah I can, I can download games, connect to psplus, but I still get that error and can't access online portion of games

david64
Level 15

@mtecle . Internet articles on PS5 NAT type refer to certain port numbers being forwarded in the router config. 

You can use a port scanning tool on the internet to check if these ports are open. 

Connect the PS5 through your phone. Use port scan tool to check if the TCP ports are open on PS5.

Connect the PS5 through the hg659 and do same checks. 

If the two tests have same results, I can't suggest anything else to try.

mtecle
Level 2

I'm not sure I followed those steps right, but I didn't really find a solution that way. 

What I did do, is changing the firewall level to LOW and that did the trick, I'm just wondering how secure the network will be that way though