TPG Community

Get online support

Status of (re)enabling backup/restore functionality for Archer VR1600v

SOLVED Go to solution
soccja
Level 2

There have been several queries related to the inability to backup/restore settings from/to the Archer VR 1600v, including M1778 (from October, 2018) and 90294 (from April, 2021). The matter was 'escalated ... for future improvements' following the earlier query (2018) but in the later query (from earlier this year) the response was much weaker; namely that  'we will take take into consideration  the enabling of these features  in future updates'. I concur with others that not having the ability to backup/restore settings from such a device is a serious and unusual deficiency.

Could we please have clarification regarding prioritising the (re)enabling of this functionality? Even if it is unlikely to be addressed in the short-medium term (within the next 12 months, say), it would nevertheless be good to have some indication of expected timeframes for resolution of the issue.

Thanks and Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
soccja
Level 2

Hi @Shane ,

I appreciate that your reply is likely the limit of the information you are able to provide and what you say directly addresses my question; so thank you. Regarding your suggested workaround (=3rd party modem/router): I am constrained to using your supplied equipment as I need VoIP functionality.

I consider backup/restore capability to be basic functionality that should be supported by default and not a 'feature' and do not understand why such functionality had to be sacrificed in order to meet security requirements (40077). Given that's the situation though, I do hope the issue is not lost sight of and that its resolution is (and remains) a high priority.

Thanks again. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Shane

Welcome to the community, @soccja.

Our current supplied firmware for our modem/routerdoes not support the Back Up settings/feature. No update yet about a new Firmware that comes with Back Up/Restore feature.

We will post an update on our community when it becomes available. You also have the option to use a 3rd party modem/router hence, the VoIP feature will only work on our supplied equipment.

Regards,

There have been several queries related to the inability to backup/restore settings from/to the Archer VR 1600v, including M1778 (from October, 2018) and 90294 (from April, 2021). The matter was 'escalated ... for future improvements' following the earlier query (2018) but in the later query (from earlier this year) the response was much weaker; namely that  'we will take take into consideration  the enabling of these features  in future updates'. I concur with others that not having the ability to backup/restore settings from such a device is a serious and unusual deficiency.

Could we please have clarification regarding prioritising the (re)enabling of this functionality? Even if it is unlikely to be addressed in the short-medium term (within the next 12 months, say), it would nevertheless be good to have some indication of expected timeframes for resolution of the issue.

Thanks and Regards

soccja
Level 2

Hi @Shane ,

I appreciate that your reply is likely the limit of the information you are able to provide and what you say directly addresses my question; so thank you. Regarding your suggested workaround (=3rd party modem/router): I am constrained to using your supplied equipment as I need VoIP functionality.

I consider backup/restore capability to be basic functionality that should be supported by default and not a 'feature' and do not understand why such functionality had to be sacrificed in order to meet security requirements (40077). Given that's the situation though, I do hope the issue is not lost sight of and that its resolution is (and remains) a high priority.

Thanks again.