TPG Community

Get online support

TP-Link VR1600v DHCP Fails

SOLVED Go to solution
iceddonut
Level 3

Hi. Anyone else experienced the VR1600v failing to assign IPs via DHCP? Seems to randomly happen every few weeks. Anything new devise that connects to the network fails to be assigned an IP. I have to reset my router and everything goes back to normal. Is there a firmware update for this?

Other users having similar problem. 

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.56416n Hardware Version: Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
iceddonut
Level 3

Hi @orbistat and @Shane . I have decided to disable my routers DHCP, and use another device on my local network as my DHCP server. Its faster than the router anyway. Thanks

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
Shane

Hi @iceddonut,

Welcome to the community!

We'd like to confirm if you're using a 3rd party router connected to our Supplied TP-Link VR1600v. If so, make sure to that the router's connection mode is on DHCP.

On the other hand, we'll request an upgrade to your modem/router's firmware and updates will be provide within 24hrs.

Cheers!

iceddonut
Level 3

Hi Shane. That would be great. Thanks. Confirming I'm using Apple AirPort Extreme, definitely in DHCP mode. The problem happens both on wifi & ethernet. I've also noticed, the router login page is inaccessible too. So I have to power cycle to even log into the web interface.

Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.56416n Hardware Version: Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @iceddonut It sounds like you're running 2 routers in DHCP mode on the same network, if DHCP is enabled on the VR1600v and the AirPort you'll have iP conflicts all over the place.

Shane

Hi @iceddonut,

Make sure to turn off your TP-Link's Wireless network and connect all your device(s) via Wi-Fi on your Apple AirPort Extreme.

You can check this existing thread for additional reference.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

iceddonut
Level 3

Hi @orbistat. Thanks for your help. I can confirm my airport extreme is set to Bridge Mode (Router Mode off), so i only have one router assigning DHCP requests. The Airport is just a "wifi extender". @Shane i have already been doing this. I disabled the TP-Link router wifi, and only connecting to my Airport Extreme. Problem still persists. Can you advise?

iceddonut
Level 3

Hi @orbistat and @Shane . I have decided to disable my routers DHCP, and use another device on my local network as my DHCP server. Its faster than the router anyway. Thanks

legcat
Level 4

Hi @iceddonut 

did you assign a static IP address for Apple AirPort?

is it outside the DHCP range of TP-link VR1600?

edit: dang. you already have a solution Smiley Embarassed

Majanzo
Level 3
I’m experiencing this exact same problem. I want to use DHCP from the VR1600v but every few days I’m finding devices will connect to WiFi but fail to get an IP address on the home network. If I reset the router, everything starts working again (for another few days).

Is there a fix for this or new firmware update? Thanks
Rica_R

Hi @Majanzo

Welcome to TPG Community!

I've located your account using your Community details

We'd like to confirm if you're using a 3rd party router connected to our Supplied TP-Link VR1600v?

On the other hand, we'll request an upgrade to your modem/router's firmware and updates will be provide within 24hrs.

Regards,