TPG Community

Get online support

TP-Link VS420-G2V and Tenda Nova Mesh MW3

SOLVED Go to solution
paullarsen25
Level 2

Hi,

I am new to TPG and am trying to connect my tenda nova wifi (mesh extender) to my TP-Link VX420-G2V.

For other modems, it has been really simple to plug it in to a LAN port and it has worked immediately.

I don't seem to be able to get it working with this modem. 

Any suggestions would be awesome. I have spent all afternoon.. AAARRRGGGHHH.. :-) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @paullarsen25 .  Have you tried setting the Tenda into Bridge mode in Internet settings.

From the user manual:

Bridge: If this type is selected, the nova node can access the internet only after being connected to another
router with internet accessibility in wired manner.

If you set the Connection Type to Bridge, the Guest Network, Parental Control, Port Forwarding, UPnP,
DNS, QoS, and DHCP server functions becomes unavailable.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Hi @paullarsen25 .  Have you tried setting the Tenda into Bridge mode in Internet settings.

From the user manual:

Bridge: If this type is selected, the nova node can access the internet only after being connected to another
router with internet accessibility in wired manner.

If you set the Connection Type to Bridge, the Guest Network, Parental Control, Port Forwarding, UPnP,
DNS, QoS, and DHCP server functions becomes unavailable.

paullarsen25
Level 2

Hi David,

This was perfect thank-you.

I will need to try and configure the parental controls through the modem.

Otherwise the kids will have a field day.

Thanks so much. I appreciate it so much.

david64
Level 15

@paullarsen25 . Word of warning. The parental controls on the VX420 may be difficult to set up and may not provide all the control you want. When you get them set up, take pictures of them or print the screens. If you ever do a factory reset, all settings are cleared. 

paullarsen25
Level 2

Thanks David.

This saved me tonnes of time. 

Do you know if the controls that i sent on the TP-Link modem will flow through when the kids connect to the Tenda Nova Mesh, or do I have to restrict them to only access the TP-Link modem?

I am sure I can work it out through trial and error, but if you already knew you would be next level legend.

Thanks again for yesterday's advice. Priceless. 

david64
Level 15

@paullarsen25 . When Tenda is in bridge mode, its parental controls don't work. The Tplink does everything. The Tenda might have a wifi schedule so wifi can be turned on/off depending on time of day, separately from Tplink.

Before doing parental controls on Tplink, use an ethernet computer connected to it to do some speed tests at different times of day. It's been noted that parental controls reduce internet speed.