TPG Community

Get online support

VR1600v firmware upgrade

SOLVED Go to solution
Riezl

We apologise for the inconvenience this issue is causing you and we'd like to check what can be done to resolve this, @gmtoz.

We have checked the status of your connection and it appears to be up and running now. However, our system recorded multiple connection dropouts.

Did you turn the modem off and on today? How many times?

We'd like to raise the issue to our Technical Escalations Team for further troubleshooting. Can you PM us your best contact number and most convenient time to receive a call?

gmtoz
Level 3

Hi

thanks for your reply.

Yes I did turn the router off and on many times yesterday....as this is the only way I can get it to allocate an IP address by DHCP so that devices can connect to it. (Also the NBN modem dropped out a few times but not many compared to me cycling the TPG router).

The problem is not so much in sustaining an internet connection. The problem is that it only works for a few (wired) devices. As more try to connect I get an error (in the router log) 'no ip addresses to give, OFFER abandoned". As a result the devices don't get an address and can't use the local network or the internet.

Note that I do have a lot of devices (more than 20). I note I'm not the only person having this problem My theory is that there is a firmware bug or that the modem is poor quality and doesn't have enough memory. I didn't have this problem with my old Telstra modem.

Unless TP-Link have a solution for you, I think the best approach is if you can give me a different modem or release me from my contract so that I can move to a NBN provider who uses different modems. (Also I still have an outstanding issue where I can't use my phone due to failure for phone number to port - that one is with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman)

Shane

Hi @gmtoz,

Thanks for the additional details.

Can you try to turn off the TP-Links VR1600's wireless connection. Set the AirPort Extreme and Expresses to 'DHCP mode' and connect all the wireless device(s) to the AirPort Extreme or Expresses's Wireless network.

This way the TP Link will be the authenticating device whilst the AirPort & Express will do the routing.

Let us know how it will go.

Regards,

gmtoz
Level 3
Thanks

But I’ve already done that (never had the wirelsss on). This means TP-Link then sees every device as Ethernet connected (since they go back through the airport which connects to TP-Link via Ethernet) and the TP-Link struggles with more than a few devices on Ethernet.

I wish I could turn on DHCP/NAT on airport as that would solve problem (it can deal with plenty of devices). Problem is it seems impossible to turn off DHCP/NAT on TP-Link so you then get errors due to multiple DHCP/NAT servers (that’s why I’d like to be able to put TP-Link in bridge mode but it won’t allow it for EWAN connection ...only for DSL connection)
Shane

Hi @gmtoz,

Sorry for delayed response.

Can you post a screen shot of the configuration of both AirPort Extreme and Expresses ?

You only need to use 2 Ethernet ports on the TP-Link modem/router. If you will be able to set up the Airport Extreme and Expresses connected to it.

It will serve as the router for the device(s) that needs to be connected via LAN/Ethernet.

We actually resolved an issue similar to this case Connecting 3rd Party Router to our supplied modem/router.

You can visit this link for reference:

Connect Asus RT-AC88U to Huawei HG659

Note: In case your Airport Extreme and expresses do not have DHCP option you can use 'Automatic IP/ Automatically Received IP'

Connecting a second Router to the Huawei HG659

Note: the router was set on DHCP Mode.

Thanks

But I’ve already done that (never had the wirelsss on). This means TP-Link then sees every device as Ethernet connected (since they go back through the airport which connects to TP-Link via Ethernet) and the TP-Link struggles with more than a few devices on Ethernet.

I wish I could turn on DHCP/NAT on airport as that would solve problem (it can deal with plenty of devices). Problem is it seems impossible to turn off DHCP/NAT on TP-Link so you then get errors due to multiple DHCP/NAT servers (that’s why I’d like to be able to put TP-Link in bridge mode but it won’t allow it for EWAN connection ...only for DSL connection)
gmtoz
Level 3

Hi,

It feels a bit to me like you haven't really understood the problem I'm having as your question and links to other solutions don't seem relevant.

Before I reiterate the problem I am having, let me try to address our questions / suggestions. I've attached a screen shot of the Airport Extreme config (all the Expresses look exactly the same). As you can see it is in bridge mode...so all traffic gets passed to the TP-Link router and all IP address allocation is handled by the TP-Link router. I could try setting up the Airport Extreme as the DHCP server (I know it works well as that was my configuration when I was connected with Telstra...but there modem worked in bridge mode)...but this then causes multiple DHCP/NAT server errors and internet stops working.

The setup is to have all the airports (I have multiple to give wifi coverage on different floors of the house) in bridge mode...and they are connected to the TP-Link router by ethernet. TP-Link wifi is off as the airports handle that (but not DHCP/NAT). There is also 1 other device connected to the TP-Link router by ethernet. The TP-Link is the DHCP / Nat server...and it often works (see problem below). TP-Link believes everything is connected by ethernet as nothing connects to it by Wifi (rather by Wifi to the airport which connects to the TP-Link by ethernet).

Your first link isn't really relevant as when they work, devices do get through to the internet. The second one is partly relevant (multiple DHCP servers) but I can't assign static addresses to everything in my network (more than 20 not to mention guests).

So I want to reiterate what the problem actually is ....the setup I have is configured correctly and sort of works. That is the first few devices do connect ok (whether ethernet or wifi). The TP-Link assigns IP addresses via DHCP and everything gets through to the internet. The problem starts when more devices connect (all to TP-Link via ethernet). The TP-Link seems to get overwhelmed (not sure if it is a memory issue or a software bug). It then refuses to allocate out addresses by DHCP and therefore devices can no longer connect to the internet or even the LAN. It doesn't matter if they are ethernet or wifi...same problem...they end up self assigning IP addresses. It is clear this is an issue in the DHCP server as it logs an error in its log (as previously shared)...which says 'no ip addresses to give, OFFER abandoned' (I've posted log previously). This continues until I reboot the modem (which clears the memory and disconnects everything)...it then works for a while until more devices connect. The problem affects many different types of devices...but always the ones connecting later.

I'm not the only person having this problem.

It seems to me that the only fix will be to replace the modem with a different modem; or for TP-Link to provide a fix.

As of now I'm a month into my TPG / NBN experience without reliable internet access (not to mention phone service due to failure to port number). I'm still being charged for both

thanks

warkus
Level 2

Hello,

I too am having some issues with my new TPG NBN plan with the VR1600v.

Before going into the specifics too much, I would greatly appreciate it if I can please be upgraded to the latest version of firmware as well like others on here - so that I can test and see if issues are resolved first before escallating things further.

Current firmware is - 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 171228 Rel.64067n

I was connected to FTTC NBN50 on 21 Jan. Had significant issues getting my phone number ported across. Now that this is done, I have had problems with the phone dropping out 3 times now. When I say dropping out, I mean literally that, you ring my house and get something along the lines of "The number you are calling is currently experiencing technical issues, please call back later" or similar anyway as I cannot exactly remember. Generally only discover this when I go to make a call and realise its offline again. All 3 times the internet was up and working ok. Solution - log into router and reboot. Works fine after that - until the next time.

I have also had issues with Address reservation (MAC) and I also had significant issues with WIFI to a point where I have disabled it entirely, and am using an alternative WIFI device on my network as it was just too unreliable.. All in all I am very happy with the TPG service, a big jump up from my old Optus ADSL plan where I was lucky to get 2Mbps, 

I really would like to see if the newer firmware fixes any/some of these issues that I have had - before I have to start looking into other causes, best to rule out firmware first I think.

Thank you for your anticipated assisitance.

Mark

Will

Hi @warkus

Welcome to the Community!

Using your community details, I was able to pull up your account and see that we can still upgrade your modem's firmware version.

I have already sent a request to have your modem's firmware upgraded. We'll let you know via this thread once it's done.

Regards,

Will

Hi @gmtoz

Thank you for the clarification.

Putting the Airport Extreme to bridge mode, technically, converts it to a hub. Can we try and set the connection type to DHCP for the Airport Extreme devices in order to allow them to assign their own set of IP addresses to your devices?

Please leave the TP-Link modem on PPPoE mode.

Regards.

gmtoz
Level 3

Hi

I must admit I find this quite frustrating ...I feel like you aren't reading what I'm writing and ignorning the fundamental problem.

1. you haven't explained why the TP-Link router doesn't do it's job..rather you want me to make the Airport do what the TP-Link should do (i.e be an effective DHCP/NAT server). Plus I'm not sure what is the issue with Airport being a hub (it's not the only ethernet hub I have...plus it acts as a wifi access point)

2. as I've explained multiple times before ...it won't work if I set up Airport as a DHCP/NAT server. This is because you can't turn off DHCP/NAT on the TP-Link (I've tried) and then there are conflicts with multiple DHCP/NAT routers. (Plus the setup then becomes complicated since I'd have multiple routers on the same network).

Is there no way you can provide me a router that works? (different to this TP-Link junk)?