TPG Community

Get online support

Do I have to leave on all my devices 24 hours a day just to remain connected to landline phone?

SOLVED Go to solution
Kaila32
Level 3

I am clueless about nbn/technical issues so be kind.  I have been connected to NBN for about two months. I have  a land line and It would appear I have to leave all my devices connected 24 hr a day just for the phone. My computer set up is in my bedroom. I spat chips when I was told I would have to relocate my phone/answering machine to my bedroom and find space on my computer desk.. I have a laptop but use a monitor and that is still connected and lit up with my usual message. The lights annoying to say the least - 7 on modem, 4 on NBN box, 2 on telephone and the monitor.It's lit up like a ... well I wont be crude. I just received my electricity account and it is up by about $30. I have turned the connection off on occasions but forgot to turn it back on in the morning.  Oh and I have a mobile but only use it for emergencies as not in any plan. I dont need it. The only thing I can see I can turn off is my computer connection.My old ADSL line in the bedroom was broken and I am still running a line into the lounge for nbn, so cant run any more cables. I had a dream that I was being strangled by all my cables.

Any suggestions please?.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kaila32
Level 3

Hello Basil

I didn't say I turned the NBN device off. I cannot do this as my phone wont work.  I didn't  think I had to say exactly what I did, but just to say I now know what can come off what can't. (as I was replying to an old post I didn't see before) I said I now know that there are so many lights that have to remain on. I was shown that the NBN device has a cover that you can pull down to block off the lights..This is a function of the device. .I dont need to see the lights unless I have a problem. I turned the modem around so I can't see the lights. Once again if I have a problem I can check the lights.

cannot go wi fi as my computer is too old as I was told by a TPG technician who was very helpful and has the same problem..

Thank you

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shane

Hi @Kaila32,

Welcome to the community!

I would love to help and get the bottom of this.

Correct me if I am wrong, what I understand someone advised you to change/move the current setup of your modem/router and device(s), is this for troubleshooting purposes?

I'd like to clarify if you're having difficulties with your Wi-Fi/Wireless connection. Have you reached our Helpdesk Support Team?

If you're having difficulties with your Wireless connection, did an article that will help you on How to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In your home.

Tell me how it will go.

Cheers!

Kaila32
Level 3

Didn't see this and yes. I now know I can close the NBN box so lights don't show. But I am still stuck with cords and lights on my small computer space 24/7. I can only get rid of one cord to go Wi Fi on my printer because my computer is old.

thank you

BasilDV

Hi @Kaila32,

Apparently, the lights on the NBN devices are needed since it will tell you if the service is working or not.

You may turn the device off and put a reminder on your phone or leave a sticky note to turn the device on.

Regards,

BasilDV

Kaila32
Level 3

Hello Basil

I didn't say I turned the NBN device off. I cannot do this as my phone wont work.  I didn't  think I had to say exactly what I did, but just to say I now know what can come off what can't. (as I was replying to an old post I didn't see before) I said I now know that there are so many lights that have to remain on. I was shown that the NBN device has a cover that you can pull down to block off the lights..This is a function of the device. .I dont need to see the lights unless I have a problem. I turned the modem around so I can't see the lights. Once again if I have a problem I can check the lights.

cannot go wi fi as my computer is too old as I was told by a TPG technician who was very helpful and has the same problem..

Thank you