TPG Community

Get online support

NBN HFC with only Google Wifi

nedcpr89
Level 2

Hi everyone,

Today we had an NBN technician install HFC in our apartment. Our new black nbn HFC modem is shining solid green lights in all four dots. We have connected a Google Wifi router directly to the nbn HFC modem via the ethernet cable. We can receive a wifi signal from the Google Wifi router. However - no internet! The customer service teams at both TPG and Google have patiently walked us through entering PPPoE details, restarting the modem, restarting the router etc. etc. ... but alas I write to you now while tethering from my phone.

Has anyone had success connecting directly from Arris NBN modem -> Google Wifi point over TPG? If so - any tips?

If not, are we required to connect from Arris NBN modem -> [some cheap modem/router] -> Google Wifi point? And if so, why is that?

Appreciate greatly any assistance.

nedcpr89

8 REPLIES 8
BasilDV

Hi @nedcpr89 

Welcome to TPG Community!

The TPG NBN HFC requires a modem/router that can support VLAN setting, which your Google WiFi is lacking.

If you ordered the NBN service with TPG, we always provide a free NBN modem/router which will only cost you $10 for the shipping fee. This modem/router is preconfigured and can be used as the base of your connection if you are going to use your Google WiFi.

There's a previous discussion with this kind of case before. Please refer to this link.

Regards,

BasilDV

thunderb0ltX
Level 3

I have successfully setup Google Wifi with NBN HFC and the TP-Link Archer 1600V router as below:

In the router settings:

Advanced > Network > DSL > Add...

Modulation Type: VDSL

VLAN ID: Disabled

Internet Connection Type: Bridge

The bridge was then displayed on the Network > Interface Grouping as LAN1 port. I connected the Google WiFI to the LAN1 port on the Archer router and continued to successfuly setup the Google Wifi via the Google Home app. I then disabled the WiFi radio no the Archer modem and all is working peachy (and MUCH faster than the Archer!)

bigears
Level 2

Hi there.

I have the same problem, but unfortunately no solution. Same NBN via HFC and Archer VR1600v, wanting to use with Google Wifi Mesh setup.

@thunderb0ltX wrote:

I have successfully setup Google Wifi with NBN HFC and the TP-Link Archer 1600V router as below:

In the router settings:

Advanced > Network > DSL > Add...

Modulation Type: VDSL

VLAN ID: Disabled

Internet Connection Type: Bridge

I followed your instructions to the letter and see the attached images. I kept getting this: "Error code: 85629 This VLAN ID already exists. Please input another one." even though I hadn't enabled VLAN.

By the way, if I did enable VLAN I got the same error.

I've read somewhere else you need to delete the other internet connections but I'm reluctant to do so - seems like a good way to brick the router.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Tonemack
Level 2

I've done this and it works, however do you need to select Connect on the bridge?  Currently my Google router has a WAN IP of 192.168.x.x which is the LAN subnet on the Archer 1600V.  FYI I have a Google Nest Router and additional Access Point.

marcvinalon
Level 2

I followed the steps but when it says "no internet connection" when i set up google wifi. Anyone who has recently  successfully connected google wifi with TPLink archer modem? thanks 

Riezl

Hi @marcvinalon , please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account and further assist you. Thank you.

Mrash000
Level 2
Hi, i recently bought Google Nest with 2 access points as the supplied router from TPG doesn't cover my house. To my surprise, i found out the hard way that the Arris modem cannot directly be connected to Google Nest. Just spent $500 to find out TPG has such old modems which cannot be connected to latest technologies.
I'm honestly contemplating switching over to Aussie broadband as they offer 248 Mbps for $99 p/month and supports Google Nest.
Pick up your game TPG.

I'm one very annoyed customer... Note I've been with TPG for 15 years.
Shane

Hi @Mrash000,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us. What supplied TPG modem/router do you have? I'd like to set your expectation that we do not support 3rd party modem/router but we can provide basic settings that the equipment requires to connect to our modem.

In the even that you have our supplied Huawei HG659 modem/router, you may try to check this thread

If Google Nest requires a Bridge connection to the mode/router check this article below.

How to turn on bridge mode on the TP Link 1600v

Let us know should you require further assistance. 

Note: The modem we provide is a standard modem, we’ve optimised the setup to complement our specifically configured modem settings. We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls. 

Hi, i recently bought Google Nest with 2 access points as the supplied router from TPG doesn't cover my house. To my surprise, i found out the hard way that the Arris modem cannot directly be connected to Google Nest. Just spent $500 to find out TPG has such old modems which cannot be connected to latest technologies.
I'm honestly contemplating switching over to Aussie broadband as they offer 248 Mbps for $99 p/month and supports Google Nest.
Pick up your game TPG.

I'm one very annoyed customer... Note I've been with TPG for 15 years.