TPG Community

Get online support

SOLVED: Setup bridge on TP-LINK Archer VR1600v then replace with Unifi USG on NBN HFC

sammutm
Level 2

Hi All

Currently using the default TP-LINK Archer VR1600v supplied by TPG with no connection problems on HFC NBN. I want to replace it with a Unifi USG and I know the VoIP won't work with this setup.

My problem is the the USG needs its firmware updated so first the VR1600v needs to be set up as a bridge so I can get the USG online and running the latest firmware. The USG doesn't allow any config changes until adopted into a network (i don't really want to SSH into it if it can be avoided). 

I believe there are 2 conflicts. Both routers by default use the same IP 192.168.1.1 and both are DHCP servers. I need some help changing the settings on the VR1600v then help setting up the USG. I must be doing something wrong because following the guides online and in this forum isn't working for me.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Shane

Hi @sammutm

Welcome to the community!

Is the Unifi USG is a VDSL modem/router? If so, perhaps you can configure the modem/router directly as an Authenticating Device instead of settings the TP-Link VR1600v on Bridge Mode.

You just need to modem/router's configuration.

• The "Internet IP address" should be set to automatic/Dynamic.
  • The transfer mode and DSL mode should be VDSL2/VDSL.
  • Multiplexing method should be LLC-Based (if available after you changed the mode to VDSL).
  • VLANID = 2
  • Encapsulation should be PPPoE.

If both router's Default Access Gateway is causing the conflict you may change the TP-Link's Gateway on

Under Advanced > Network

See screenshot below.

defaultgateway.png

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

jsavio81
Level 3

I got the UniFi USG working smoothly.

So for future reference to the TPG Support team, Yes, a UniFi USG system is a compatible router withyour service.

As it is a stand alone router I connected it directly to the NBN HFC Modem. Without using the TP-Link modem/router at all.

I did have to make sure a UniFi Cloudkey (physical device or software is running on their pc/Mac) to ensure all settings are enabled.

Yes, main settings to ensure are inputted correct are:

Protocol: PPPoE

Username: TPG username

Password: TPG password

VLAN: 2

Thanks for replying though.

sammutm
Level 2

I finally got this working yesterday. Gave up on bridging the TP-LINK router altogether.

The issue was old firmware on the USG that needed to be updated manually through SSH into the router itself. I imagine with the newer firmware, even bridging would have worked now.

dezza
Level 2

I have been trying to connect the USG also.

I have tried bridging the TP Link router and also tried connecting directly to modem

I think I have tried all instructions I can find on the net.

Sigh.. I'm just venting.. feel better now.

Shane

If you have done all the possible troubleshooting given to this thread. Have you tried updating the USG firmware? As @sammutm  stated on his last post. 

I have been trying to connect the USG also.

I have tried bridging the TP Link router and also tried connecting directly to modem

I think I have tried all instructions I can find on the net.

Sigh.. I'm just venting.. feel better now.

dezza
Level 2

@Shane wrote:

If you have done all the possible troubleshooting given to this thread. Have you tried updating the USG firmware? As @sammutm  stated on his last post. 

No, I have not tried as I have not been able to connect it to the internet yet.

Shane

Do you have an existing TPG account? An ongoing service application? Could you shoot us a PM with your details to better understand the situation.

How to send a PM?

Regards,

No, I have not tried as I have not been able to connect it to the internet yet.

dezza
Level 2

Am I right in thinking that internet connection is necessary for firmware update via SSH

I cannot get USG to connect through the Archer VR1600V when bridged or directly connected to the modem