TPG Community

Get online support

VOIP in Bridgemode

SOLVED Go to solution
neilclan
Level 2

When the HG659 is in Bridge-mode it loses the VOIP function.

I would like to have the modem in bridgemode and connect using an Apple Time Capsule (The time capsule can create the wireless network and act as a back up)

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might achieve this.  I was wondering if the Layer 2 Bridging might help bridge some ports and not others.

TPG help desk where of no help - they didnt know anything about Layer 2 Bridging.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @neilclan,

VoIP feature will not work if HG659 is on bridge mode. ( It needs to be the Authenticating Device/ The device that needs to be connected directly to our TPG server)

If your Apple Time Capsule have DHCP mode option to receive IP address from HG659 it could possibly work.

Hope this help.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Shane

Hi @neilclan,

VoIP feature will not work if HG659 is on bridge mode. ( It needs to be the Authenticating Device/ The device that needs to be connected directly to our TPG server)

If your Apple Time Capsule have DHCP mode option to receive IP address from HG659 it could possibly work.

Hope this help.

Cheers!

flowtracer
Level 2

That is not correct. Consistent with TPG's competitors, all that is required is for TPG to provide their users with TPG's VoIP settings, in accordance with TPG's Service Description and Terms for the supply of TPG Voice (see https://www.tpg.com.au/terms_conditions/tpg_voice)

BasilDV

Good day @flowtracer,

Welcome to TPG Community!

The VoIP phone service that is bundled with our NBN service and the TPG VoIP are different products.

The TPG VoIP has its own configuration and requires a VoIP ready handset for it to work. While on NBN service with home phone or VoIP service, the configuration is already saved on the firmware of the modem and uses a normal handset.

Please read the information on the numbers 2 and 4 on our Service Description and Terms (Phone selection).

2. TPG VOIP

4. TPG Home Phone and Landline Rental

Kind regards,

flowtracer
Level 2

The two types of TPG Voice service to which you refer are both standard telephone services (see clause 1 of TPG's Service Description and Terms for the supply of TPG Voice).

As you would know, the TPG firmware to which you also refer contains the relevant settings.

RodBacon
Level 2

The solution is NOT to use bridge mode, rather create a private network between the 2 routers and set the DMZ option on the TPG router to send all inbound packets to the second router. Authentication (and therefore the VoIP phone) remains on the TPG device, but the second router handles everything else. I have this running at home perfectly.

player47
Level 2
Hi RodBacon

Could you please go into greater details on your solution?
How did you set it up?
What steps did you take for your equipment?
Is it connected LAN to LAN or Lan to WAN?
I am aware that our hardware are not the same but the setup and settings can be replicated.

I basically want the my ASUS RT-AX88U to deal with all my devices but also having voip work from tpg's Archer1600v.

I only want tpg's supplied router to enable me to have a working landline/voip and nothing more while having everything else to do with the internet go through my ASUS RT-AX88U.