TPG Community

Get online support

Wifi showing as public

Nuffa1
Level 2

My WIFI connection is showing as public on laptop.Is this normal??? If not how do I change it?

(My usage has increased by over 10 gig for this month and i only have a laptop and my mobile. Nothing big downloaded eg. movies etc)

Any help greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @Nuffa1,

Welcome to the community!

When you say the Wi-Fi showing public do you mean your Laptop we're able to detect the Wi-Fi Network? This should be normal to all Wireless/Wi-Fi network but some modem/routers have feature to Hide the Wireless Network name / Wi-Fi Name.

Or Wi-Fi network does not ask you to enter a password when it shows to your Laptop? We did an article that you may find helpful, this will guide you on how to change or set a Wi-Fi password to your network. Feel free to visit the link below.

How to change WiFi password

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

Nuffa1
Level 2
Hi Shane,thanks for the reply. The wifi still asks for the password when you want to connect. Am wondering if possibly someone has hacked into it as my data usage has been steadily increasing over the last few months since the NBN was connected! It's only me using it on my laptop and mobile. I don't download movies etc....... Will check out the link you sent and change the password see if that makes a difference Smiley Happy
Riezl

Thanks for getting back to us, @Nuffa1. It would be best to change your Wi-Fi to make sure.

We have located the account using your community details and we can see that your data usage for NBN is almost the same when you have ADSL service.

You can log in to TPG My Account to view your data usage.

This article can help you:

Using TPG My Account & Online Account Info

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Accounts-and-Billing/Using-TPG-My-Account-amp-Online-Account-Info/td...

Should you need further assistance, please let us know. Thank you.