TPG Community

Get online support

my mail address seems to have been hacked

robertjw
Level 4

I have the same problem.

Luckily only 4000 emails returned before I looked at my webmail to see the issue.

The hacker had made new mail rules so that I could not view emails sent to my email address, or else I would have realised what was going on earlier.

Really tricky.

Part of the problem is that you can choose the option of TPG emailing your account password to your email, so anyone has pretty much free access to your details. This is very insecure and is counter-intuitive.

Why is there not a system where you can only get the password sent to your registered mobile number?

This would be much more secure.

robertjw
Level 4

I have also scanned for any malware etc.

Nothing found on my PCs

hooter
Level 2

I too have had so-called Daemon-Miller messages listing non or undelivered emails I have not sent.  I have virus and malware scanned my system and checked all settings on Outlook and they are all normal. I have found on the TPG mail server side a list of contacts that reflect those on the "returned" unde;ivered addresses.  These contacts are NOT my Outlook contacts. I have in the lst 5 days deleted these contacts, to find 5 or 6 new different contacts listed on the server side. These have been deleted daily. 

It appears to me that these spoof emails are originating from the server side of my email account and certainly NOT from my computer's email system.

It is certainly a regular pain, and also makes me wonder how many other subscribers are being spoofed like this?

Shane

Hi @hooter,

Thanks raising this to us. We'd love to help and see what we can do about this e-mail issue. To better understand the situation, send us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the affected e-mail address) also include the screen shot of the error message.

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community.

Regards, 

I too have had so-called Daemon-Miller messages listing non or undelivered emails I have not sent.  I have virus and malware scanned my system and checked all settings on Outlook and they are all normal. I have found on the TPG mail server side a list of contacts that reflect those on the "returned" unde;ivered addresses.  These contacts are NOT my Outlook contacts. I have in the lst 5 days deleted these contacts, to find 5 or 6 new different contacts listed on the server side. These have been deleted daily. 

It appears to me that these spoof emails are originating from the server side of my email account and certainly NOT from my computer's email system.

It is certainly a regular pain, and also makes me wonder how many other subscribers are being spoofed like this?

rosseddy
Level 2

I too have this problem. Cannot send emails - here's the error message:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 535 5.7.8 [TPG-A02] Authentication denied. User xxxxxxxx@tpg.com.au is banned from using SMTP AUTH due to previous abuse. Please verify that your email address is correct in your account settings and try again.

I believe my email address is being used to send spam. I have scanned my PC wih McAfee, Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro, all clear. I am using Thunderbird 78.0.1.

Help please!

Riezl

Hi @rosseddy, we have created this community article which may help resolve the issue : Cannot Send Email Rejected by the Server/Banned from using SMTP

If it's still the same, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account. To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community