Use Archer VR1600v as wifi extender

SOLVED Go to solution
Bauzer
Level 3

I have moved from NBN to FTTB and TPG gave me another Archer VR1600v modem. They are both identical. So, I am thking of using the old Archer VR1600v as an extender. Questions:

1. How to I make the old modem an extender?

2. Can I plug a phone to the extender?  

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @Bauzer,

As mentioned above.

We do not have guide on how to set additional or 3rd party modem/router as a Wi-Fi extender via Wireless (Mesh type connection).

Also, in my opinion VR1600 does not have a feature to make a MESH type connection as it can only be used as a Stand alone modem, router or both modem/router.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Shane

Hi @Bauzer,

Welcome to the community!

We have answered the same queries before you may visit this article, this will guide you on how to connect a 3rd party router to our supplied modem/router.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Are-the-Tpg-routers-DHCP-compatible/m-p/25448#M25...

Note: The VoIP will only work using our supplied modem/router. If you wish to utilize the VoIP we recommend to connect it to the TPG's modem/router.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

Bauzer
Level 3

Hi,

I read that thread before posting here. That thread only said DHCP. If I set my 2nd modem to DHCP will it work as an extender?

Shane

Hi @Bauzer,

Thank you for clarification. Yes, the guide that we have is about connecting additional router to our supplied modem/router via Ethernet. You can enable the Wireless Feature of the 3rd party router so it can serve as an extender.

We do not have guide on how to set additional or 3rd party modem/router as a Wi-Fi extender via Wireless (Mesh type connection). You may consult your device manufacturer's support for guide/instruction about this.

Let me know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

Bauzer
Level 3

Oh, I'm sorry for the confusion. I have 2 identical VR1600v modems, both from TPG. They are not 3rd party. So, if you can help me it would be very appreciated. I wanted to know what settings I need to change on one of the 2 modems. I have one connected to the phone socket and the other is not in use. I hope I've clarified. Thanks.   

Shane

Hi @Bauzer,

If you wish to use one of the VR1600 as an extender the setting should be like this.

Under 'Advanced' Tab > 'Network' > Internet Connection Type: 'Dynamic' > VLAN ID Unchecked.

Once you set this you can simply connect it to the LAN ports of the main VR1600 via Ethernet.

See photos below for reference:

3RD PARTY VR1600.png

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

Bauzer
Level 3

Thanks Shane,

Can't I use wireless?

Shane

Hi @Bauzer,

As mentioned above.

We do not have guide on how to set additional or 3rd party modem/router as a Wi-Fi extender via Wireless (Mesh type connection).

Also, in my opinion VR1600 does not have a feature to make a MESH type connection as it can only be used as a Stand alone modem, router or both modem/router.

Cheers!

Bauzer
Level 3

OK. I have to get an off the shelve wifi-extender. Thanks for your advice.

Shane

You're welcome, @Bauzer ! In case you will have your Wi-Fi extender do not hesitate to create a new thread for assistance.

Cheers! Smiley Happy