This article provides you with our recommended steps when you experience slow Internet.
Steps to Follow
1. First, we need to know what speed you are getting. Perform a TPG speed test on a computer or mobile device and make a note of the download speed from the test result.
(If you're connecting your device to the Wi-Fi network, stand near the modem/router to do the test).
The result will be the basis if there will be an improvement on your speed after troubleshooting.
2. Turn the modem/router off for atleast 10 seconds before turning it back on then wait for atleast 2-3 minutes until the light settles
3. If your modem light indicates a low signal, move your modem to another location.
These tips will help you choose a good spot for your modem:
Note:If your Signal or 5G lights remain off after rebooting, please call us on 1300 994 533 for assistance.
Sagemcom 5866 5G Modem - Signal lights
Nokia FastMile 5G Modem
Note: The Signal Direction light will indicate the direction of the strongest 5G signal.
4. If you're testing your speed on a WiFi device, stand next to your modem and run a speed test to rule out any WiFi signal issues.
Please note: Your modem will automatically connect your devices to the best available WiFi network (i.e. 5GHz). Older devices may only be able to connect to 2.4GHz WiFi.
5. If your speed improved when tested with the devices connected via Ethernet cable, but still shows a slow speed through devices connected via WiFi, then see our guide on Improving WiFi signals.
6. Unplug all other devices connected to your modem's Ethernet ports (except the device you are testing, if applicable).
7. Turn off or disconnect all other devices connected to your modem's WiFi (except the device you are testing, if applicable).
8. On the device you are testing, close all programs that are using your broadband connection, then run a speed test.
9. If your speed improved on a single device, you may need to reduce the number of devices and/or programs running simultaneously on your home network.
Please note: If you need more bandwidth to support more programs and/or devices, you may need to switch to an alternative broadband product. Please call us on 1300 920 158 to discuss.
10. Perform a scan on your antivirus/anti-malware software. If any infections are detected, make sure they are quarantined and removed. Please contact your software’s Customer Support if you need assistance.
11. Firewalls may affect broadband performance. Temporarily disable any firewalls and run a speed test.
If you still experience speed issues, please call us on 1300 994 533 for further assistance.
Article contributed by Basil DV and Mel G.