5G Speed below 2Mbps

rcarmichael
Level 3
Good morning,
A few months ago I switched my parents plan from NBN 50 to 5G 50. I have found that it is rare for them to be getting anywhere near 50Mbps, averaging 5Mbps and below which I do not believe is acceptable even in peak time.
Yesterday I performed a speed test just before 8pm and got a result of 1.16 (screenshot attached).
I have already tried the suggestions from similar posts, namely:
- Modem/Router is in the front most room of the house near a windrow and out of direct sun light.
- Restarting modem/router (with over 60 seconds buffer time).
- There are no firewall issues or virus/malware.
- Modem connected correctly with everything in good condition, including only using CAT6e cables.
- Tested speed on 5GHz network close to modern/ router.
- Very few devices connected. When testing all internet heavy devices/apps turned off.
- Sagemcom shows Green 5GHz LED, and 4-5 orange status LEDs.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Sincere regards,
Ryan
5 REPLIES 5
Angeli

Hi Ryan, 

Welcome to TPG Community! 

Are the devices connected to 2.4 or 5Ghz? Are you able to run a speed test via wired connection, so we can compare the results? 

Regards, 

Angeli

rcarmichael
Level 3
Thank you for your reply Angeli.
Devices are using the 5GHz network.
When I get a chance in the coming week I will attempt to test the hard-wired connection and get back to you on here.
Angeli

Yes please, we'll wait for that @rcarmichael. Smiley Happy 

rcarmichael
Level 3
Thank you for your patience.
I performed a few tests via Ethernet and Wifi at the same time and 2 of the six times the Ethernet connection was at the expected 43.7Mbps. But for the rest of the tests it was just as slow as wifi. I also experimented with the Wifi channel but found no change. This time the signal LEDs were also green instead of the previous yellow but this did not seem to make a difference. My belief given these tests is that whilst there are bursts of the speed hitting an appropriate level, a majority of the time it is not (and my tests of Wifi just missed those acceptable bursts). So the issue is not Wifi related.
Sincere regards,
Ryan
Shane

Hi Ryan. Let us help check what causing issues with the slow connection speed and get to the bottom of this. Could you shoot us a PM with your details so we can proceed with the initial investigation.

How to send a PM?

Regards,

Thank you for your patience.
I performed a few tests via Ethernet and Wifi at the same time and 2 of the six times the Ethernet connection was at the expected 43.7Mbps. But for the rest of the tests it was just as slow as wifi. I also experimented with the Wifi channel but found no change. This time the signal LEDs were also green instead of the previous yellow but this did not seem to make a difference. My belief given these tests is that whilst there are bursts of the speed hitting an appropriate level, a majority of the time it is not (and my tests of Wifi just missed those acceptable bursts). So the issue is not Wifi related.
Sincere regards,
Ryan