TPG Community

Get online support

Disable Access Point/AP isolation, also known as Client isolation or guest mode, on the Sagemcom fast 5866T 5G modem

SOLVED Go to solution
surrid
Level 3

Hi @BasilDV and all.

I am having the same issue. Chromecast / Google cast devices (multiple types of Nest smart speaker, Chromecast with Google TV) are not able to be communicated to on the home network.

We're on TPG 5G Home Broadband Premium, using the supplied Sagemcom f@st 5866t router.

At some point in the last month, all of our home Google cast devices went from working and communicating correctly, to failing to connect. Symptoms: no Chromecast button in apps on devices (e.g. smartphone) connected to the same network, all devices displaying as "Not available...Can't see [device name] on this Wi-Fi network..." under the Google Home app. 

We have tried:

- Resetting speakers/cast devices to factory settings, setting up again via Google Home app

- Resetting router to factory settings

- Ensuring uPnP (router settings dashboard -> Access Control -> Advanced) is ON

Could you please advise? I agree, purchasing additional hardware to correct the shortcomings of the TPG supplied router is not a solution, especially as this issue only came into existence recently...

newfarmer
Level 2

@Mark14 wrote:

First of all, the problem is not "SOLVED". If it was solved, you would have given a solution and we could use our networks the same as we did before this happened (approx 6 weeks ago). Please change the status back to "OPEN" and please progress with Technical Support to have the problem fixed. 

While I sympathise with a number of the points you've made in your reply, isn't it the person who started the thread who chooses a reply as being a 'solution', after which the thread is then marked 'solved'? In other words, perhaps it wasn't a mod who marked the thread solved?

I'm not sure on this point, as I'm new to these forums. However, on the one thread I've started, I'm seeing that I have the option to mark any reply in that thread as an accepted solution, which is why I think it works the way I've outlined above.

nicolasoz
Level 2

Here is how AP can be deactivated on the Sagem modem:

internet connectivity > Mobile Configuration
see screenshot.

Otherwise it works when the chromecast is connected via LAN

surrid
Level 3
@nicholasoz still didn't work for me, made no difference.
reh06
Level 3

Thank you @Mark14 and agree, the problem isn't solved yet. This was working fine a few weeks ago until an auto firmware update i assume.

What i think we require
1. A step by step guide for an intermediate solution until everything works again
2. A full update from the tech team to get this working as before

I also noticed that previously i couldn't sync two speakers to play music together but i'm not sure if this is also a router issue.

Suggesting people move back to NBN is how you lose customers

Reference links 
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/All-About-TPG-Home-Wireless-Broadband/m-p/95154#M...
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Google-speakers-stop-working-after-upgrade-from-N...

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/5G-home-broadband-network-problems-Sagemcom-5866T...

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/google-chromecast-doesnt-work-with-sagemcom-5g-wi...
I'm sure there are plenty more

reh06
Level 3

Ok here's what i did to finally get it to work without a second router. Thanks for all the help but i don't think this is the cleanest solution

1. Internet Connectivity > Access Point Names > Wait for page to load and Turn "ÖFF" the enable button below Access Point Names tab. Although the Access point Names shows OFF, the second tab below shows "ON" and turning it OFF was required
2. Set up a guest station. Only turned on 2.4 GHz
3. Reset all my google home devices and set it up again connecting to this new guest station Wifi

Could group the speakers which i couldn't do previously when the speakers worked on the wifi. Not sure why it doesn't play well with the general Wifi but i'm hoping that is fixed so that i'm not currently managing three separate wifi connections.

cmelrose1990
Level 2

^^^^^^^^^^^
I did this and it worked. Not sure why a company would make a device that would cripple a huge % of your customer's smart home setups. I only have a chromescast but it's how I watch TV without shelling out for a smartTV. Of course, there's no obligation to support any third party products but come on, Google is the largest evil tech company in the world and a vast quantity of your customer's use those products on a daily basis - maybe it would have been good to do some QA before releasing a device this gimped. TPG is selling its customers a product that they clearly know won't be compatible with third party devices (without mcguyvering a solution) and, unless I missed what should be MASSIVE print on the device specs, they haven't at least done the service of telling us before we buy. 

After sifting through multiple threads about this topic on this community where the TPG tech team's response was "lol sorry", I'm surprised to see that it was the costomers doing their own trouleshooting - multiple customers. Frankly, it isn't good enough that the customers had to find this solution. This was a simple process and could have been communicated by the TPG tech team if they stoped to think how the router's guest netowork setting functioned. It's literally solved by setting up a guest network on your router. TPG's responses have all stated that you can't do this. @reh06 managed to figure it out. Well done mate, maybe you should be head of the TPG tech team. Might get some actual help for customers that way.  

@TPG please pass this on to your customer relations team so your processes can be reviewed. This was a failure. 

kworrad
Level 2

I am grateful for this community and extremely disappointed with the TPG stance. I browsed a few related threads and noted that a number of different solutions had been proposed. Today I naively rang TPG support, believing that by now they should have an understanding of the problem and would tell me the best course of action to take. LOL! A few snippets from the conversation:

"You had a trial period. You should have discovered this issue then."

" This is a Google problem. Contact them."

I felt like I was talking to a brick wall. 

Next course of action is to try the guest network, and failing that buy an additional router. Fingers crossed.

It all seems a bit mysterious. My husband and I have had chromecast issues for a number of weeks. Firstly my Galaxy Tab Lite stopped showing the cast icon. Then some time later, my Samsung phone stopped showing the cast icon. Then later still, the cast icon stopped appearing on my husband's Samsung phone. Fortunately, we can still cast from his Galaxy Tab Lite.  In the last few days we installed a nest doorbell and purchased a Google Hub Max. We can access the doorbell camera from our devices, but not the Hub Max camera. We have wasted so much time trying to resolve these issues before discovering the suggestions on these forums. 

surrid
Level 3
Unfortunately I have been testing the guest network solution for a number of weeks, and it does not reliably work. Some Chromecast speakers/Sonos speakers cannot connect or be controlled via the network. Sometimes they appear. It is a very poor outcome and a poor reflection on TPG.