TPG Community

Get online support

Parental Controls, TPG Provided TP-Link Router

a-lo
Level 2
Firmware Version:2.0.0 0.9 v603c.0 Build 221201 Rel.13033n Hardware Version:VX420-G2v v2

Hi TPG Internet Support Team,

I'm a TPG customer experiencing issues with parental controls and DNS settings on my TPG supplied TP-Link router. Here's a brief overview:

I've configured parental controls to block websites, including "smh.com.au," "news.com.au".
I set Windows DNS settings from Automatic to "192.168.1.1" on both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connections (neither settings block the websites), and ensure the MAC addresses match for each.
The router address 192.168.1.1 is blocked successfully from those devices (an intended feature I assume), however, the blacklisted sites remain accessible.
Steps taken:
  • Checked DNS settings (I am not sure if 192.168.1.1 is the correct setting to use. Router dns is set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
  • Confirmed "smh.com.au," "news.com.au," etc, are blacklisted, parental controls function is switched on, and the time on the router is correct.
  • Verified device MAC addresses.
  • Cleared Chrome's DNS cache.
  • Tried different Browser (Firefox, Edge)
  • Used PowerShell to check and clear DNS.
I'm seeking assistance to resolve this issue and ensure parental controls work. Please advise if there are known issues.

Your prompt help is appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
Ahra_G

Hi @a-lo,

We'd like to check first if your modem has the latest firmware. Send us a private message and we'll pull up your account. 

-Ahra_G