TPG Community

Get online support

TPG TP-Link Archer VR1600V v2 - How to extend WiFi network

SOLVED Go to solution
ElBee
Level 2

Hello. I used to have a TP-Link Archer VR1600V v2 router when I was connected via TPG to the NBN with a HFC cable modem. The Archer VR1600V was connected to the cable modem with a patch cable, and it then set up a WiFi DHCP base station, and everything worked fine.

However, TPG have now migrated me to a newer and faster 5G wireless broadband, and I have a new Sagecom base-station 5G router and no longer use my Archer VR1600V router. I was wanting to re-purpose the Archer VR1600V as a WiFi extender for my new 5G Sagecom router.

According to TP-Link's manual for Archer VR1600V v1, there is a Bridge mode that could be used to configure the Archer as a WiFi extender. But my TPG Archer VR1600V is v2 (not v1). The required menu options present in v1 are not present in v2. And TP-Link does not have a manual for v2 on its support site.

Does anyone know how I can configure my TPG TP-Link VR1600V v2 router, so that it can be used as a WiFi extender?

I am happy either to extend the Sagecom WiFi, or alternatively to use a patch cable to connect the TP-Link Archer to the Sagecom, and then use another TP-Link Archer (yes, I have a 2nd one) to extend the TP-Link WiFi. Either solution would work.

But until I can find out how to let the TP-Link Archver VR1600V extend a WiFi network, I can't implement either solution.

Many thanks in advance for suggestions or solutions.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @ElBee . The Wireless Distribution function (and other functions) has been removed by TPG with their firmware modifications.

Options:
Run a long ethernet cable from Sagemcom to VR1600 location. 

Use an extender that uses the house's electrical wiring. One unit next to Sagemcom and a remote unit.

Use a regular extender placed partway between Sagemcom and remote location.

Generally, using an extender means you wouldn't need to use the remote VR1600. The extender produces its own wifi network.

View solution in original post

david64
Level 15

@ElBee . TP-Link only provide a GPL code package for the V1 model which might not work on V2 hardware. And it might be an early release.

Only other thing is "DD-WRT" (Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware) but it is not provided for VR1600.

You might be able to sell them since they work with other ISPs, but VOIP only works on TPG. Backup and restore is not available. Other functions might not work as expected. Monetarily, they're not worth much.

An extender is simpler, if the long ethernet cable is not an option.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @ElBee . The Wireless Distribution function (and other functions) has been removed by TPG with their firmware modifications.

Options:
Run a long ethernet cable from Sagemcom to VR1600 location. 

Use an extender that uses the house's electrical wiring. One unit next to Sagemcom and a remote unit.

Use a regular extender placed partway between Sagemcom and remote location.

Generally, using an extender means you wouldn't need to use the remote VR1600. The extender produces its own wifi network.

ElBee
Level 2

Thanks @david64 for the quick reply. Understood. 

If could ask a follow up question please: you have explained that TPG have removed the WDF and other functions with their firmware modifications. (This is what I had suspected).

Is it possible to flash the VR1600's memory, like a firmware upgrade, but this time DOWNgrading it back to v1, to restore the missing functionality? 

Or is it simpler to just get a range extender as you are suggesting, and just retire the VR1600s?

(I was simply trying not to waste two perfectly good VR1600s)

david64
Level 15

@ElBee . TP-Link only provide a GPL code package for the V1 model which might not work on V2 hardware. And it might be an early release.

Only other thing is "DD-WRT" (Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware) but it is not provided for VR1600.

You might be able to sell them since they work with other ISPs, but VOIP only works on TPG. Backup and restore is not available. Other functions might not work as expected. Monetarily, they're not worth much.

An extender is simpler, if the long ethernet cable is not an option.

ElBee
Level 2

Many thanks @david64