TPG Community

Get online support

USB port in my Sagemcom Fast 5866T Modem does not work

pro_bro
Level 2

Same issue here.

Seems like a dead end.

I was advised to contact Sagemcom directly and was quicky brushed off by them too by saying TPG has control of the the firmaware on this model.

What other options do we have as a workaround?

Thanks,

david64
Level 15

Hi @pro_bro . Still suggest usb/ethernet adapter mentioned above.

david64
Level 15

@kevin240au  @pro_bro . The usb/ethernet adapter idea won't work because there is no power source for the adapter. The usb memory stick has no power and no power comes via ethernet cable. The adapter would need external power.

kevin240au
Level 2
Thanks David.

Update my case: A customer service senior with better attitude contacted me and advised me that they do not have Driver for USB port connection inside the modem.

I’m not sure if it is true; however, they should have informed me of this at the first contact instead of throwing me to the manufacturer.

I think TPG requested special orders of customised Modems without USB connection from the manufacturer to minimise their costs.

However, it is an unwise move after their recent good Black Friday campaign with 50% discount fee for first 6 months. They may be successful in getting more customers this time; however, it is so difficult to keep customers from leaving if they cannot provide basic Internet services including USB port function.

Under current circumstances, they have 5 of 6 months left to think about upgrading their modem.

They didn’t decide to upgrade it before because they probably haven’t seen their customers leaving or it costs more than losing some customers like us.

Let’s see what happens in next 5 months.

Regards,
Kevin
pro_bro
Level 2

Thanks for that update @kevin240au.

@david64 Can I connect a different Modem in bridge mode and connect a USB drive?

Is there a way I can do it?

david64
Level 15

@pro_bro . The Sagemcom unit has to stay as it is.

You could try connecting another router as an access point with a local address say, 192.168.1.2, and DHCP and NAT disabled. It is then a matter of whether the USB function works in this mode.

pro_bro
Level 2

@david64 

I was able to configure the other router using Dynamic IP and the router was smart enough to map default gateways.

USB function works but for some reason Media server function or SMB has stopped working, exception to ftp when both the routers are connected.

To test I connected just with the secondary modem and the SMB/Media Server function works.

It does not help me as I wanted to run Plex server storage location.

david64
Level 15

@pro_bro . What is the model of the other router?

When other router is connected to Sagemcom, and you have other devices connected to other router, computer, phone, tablet, are they all listed in Sagemcom with appropriate ip addresses?

With your computer connected to Sagemcom, can you ping the other router?

As well as any wifi device?

On the computer, can you telnet to port 21 (ftp) and 445 (smb) on the other router? A blank window means the computer has connected to the function in the other router.

You can get cheap powered usb hubs if you wanted to play with the usb/ethernet adapter method.

crs
Level 3
Level 3

hi all,

has this USB  issue been resolved? I have the same issue...there is no menu for USB configuration etc...

Shane

Hi @crs,

This has been raised to our Engineering Team and still awaiting updates. We will update this thread as soon as it becomes available.

Regards,

hi all,

has this USB  issue been resolved? I have the same issue...there is no menu for USB configuration etc...