Wifi Extender

Perthling
Level 2

I have today connected to TPG using ADSL (pending an NBN upgrade) using a VX220-G2V modem.  The wifi range does not cover the whole house; I have been unable to connect my old wifi extender, Vodafone OWA0130, to the modem.  Is there a compatibility issue?  If so, what wifi extender is recommended?

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Perthling . How are you trying to connect the extender to the VX220?
By ethernet cable where it produces its own wifi coverage?

Or remotely where it picks up wifi from VX220 and extends it?

There is a manual of sorts here. https://fccid.io/RSE-OWA0130/User-Manual/User-Manual-1-4027050

If WPS is needed, login to VX220 admin and check it is enabled.

Perthling
Level 2

Thanks David,

I am trying to connect remotely through wifi from the VX220, so have enabled the WPS in the VX220 per your suggestion.  Some progress because It now attempts to pair, but so far without success.

Suspect the wifi extender is not working perfectly (it's old) because the power supply packed up (had a spare lying around) and with the ethernet cable connected it only produces 2.4GHz and not 5GHz.

Looks like I need a new wifi extender, do you have any suggestions?

david64
Level 15

@Perthling . In the link, select user manual 1, there is an option to download a pdf version of manual.

With mode switch in Auto, when it is turned on it must decide how it is to operate.

If it detects ethernet cable connected, it produces its own 2 wifi bands.

Else, if it detects 5Ghz band from the router, it uses WPS to connect to that. Distance consideration here. Maybe in this mode only the 2.4 band is usable for your devices.

Mode only changes when it is turned off/on.

You can search in Community for extender models from other users. Or, try your local computer outlets. Or internet reviews.

Perthling
Level 2

@david64 Thanks so much for your help.

Bit the bullet and lashed out on a TP Link AX3000 Mesh Wifi system; working really well.