TPG Community

Get online support

tp-link Kogan Internet Modem VR500V

lcj6159
Level 3

As part of  moving premises, TPG sent me a new modem - a tp-link Kogan Internet Modem VR500V.

I have been using this for approximately 6 months, and the experience has been reasonable to good.

My devices (two laptops) that are connected to the modem via ethernet don't seem to have issues.

But those devices that use wifi, my iPad in particular, sometimes struggle with streaming TV/video/movies.

I realised a few days ago that I have never logged into the modem via http://tplinkmodem.net to configure my modem settings.

The instruction card TPG sent out with the modem says:

1. Select the Advanced tab, then select Network > ETH Internet from the left-hand menu.

2. Select the Edit icon for the default PPPoE entry in the WAN interface table.

When I do this, I see that the:
Username is: user@vodafone.com.au, and

Password is: Vodafone_acs

These appear to be a default/generic Username and Password.

So, my questions:
1. Why is my modem working (mostly) and I am able to connect to the internet without having followed the next step in the instructions: Enter your TPG NBN Username and Password. Your username can be found in emails from us (TPG) about your NBN order.

2. Is their any advantage, will I notice any difference if I edit the username (user@vodafone.com.au) and password (Vodafone_acs) to my own username and password?

7 REPLIES 7
david64
Level 15

Hi @lcj6159 . What model wifi router did you use at your old address? Is it still working? Have you tried using it at your new address?

Regarding your wifi devices, which wifi band do they use? Are they all on just one band or are they split between both? The wifi bandwidth of the new router might be less than the old one.

What wifi connection speed do they get? In the wifi settings on each device, tap the connection to see the speed. This is nothing to do with the download and upload speed in a speed test.

On your ethernet computer, what speeds dp you get on TPG speed test?

Does the speed test show you as a TPG ip address? 

You can check your external network. On your ethernet computer, do

tracert tpg.com.au

There should be 5 or 6 hops to reach TPG. If there are too many, or you go through non-TPG servers, you might not be on TPGs network.

You can put your TPG username and password in router and see what happens.

It's strange you mention Kogan VR500 since I've never seen this combination mentioned here.

BasilDV

Hi @lcj6159

So, my questions:
1. Why is my modem working (mostly) and I am able to connect to the internet without having followed the next step in the instructions: Enter your TPG NBN Username and Password. Your username can be found in emails from us (TPG) about your NBN order.

- The modem/router we provide is already preconfigured, which explains why it worked without entering your details manually.

2. Is their any advantage, will I notice any difference if I edit the username (user@vodafone.com.au) and password (Vodafone_acs) to my own username and password?

- If you are experiencing issues with the WiFi connection, then changing the details will not make any difference. You may need to focus on improving your WiFi network connection.

Check these articles that may help you:

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

@BasilDV . If we believe that this person is a TPG user, why would they have been sent a router with Vodaphone details and not TPG details?

And what is the reference to Kogan, and why a VR500, and not one of the VX models?

lcj6159
Level 3

Hi david64,

I have been a TPG user for many, many years.
I did a quick search on this site for Kogan VR500, and there have been a few other posts.

I will answer your other questions (thank you), when I get home from work this evening.

lcj6159
Level 3

@david64 

Hi again,

Not sure why you doubt that I am a TPG user and that the Kogan VR500V modem was supplied by TPG.

Attached are the pics of the box the modem came in, a scan of the TPG instructions that were in the box, including an enlargement of the panel showing where to find the WiFi Name and Password/PIN

lcj6159
Level 3

@david64 

Hi @lcj6159 . What model wifi router did you use at your old address? TP-LINK Archer C1200

Is it still working? Yes

Have you tried using it at your new address? No

Regarding your wifi devices, which wifi band do they use? Are they all on just one band or are they split between both? The wifi bandwidth of the new router might be less than the old one. If you mean 2.4G or 5G, they are both (Android phone and iPad) on the 5G

What wifi connection speed do they get? In the wifi settings on each device, tap the connection to see the speed. This is nothing to do with the download and upload speed in a speed test. On the Android phone I can seeTransmit link speed 433Mbps. How do I find this on the iPad?

On your ethernet computer, what speeds dp you get on TPG speed test? Download 25.40Mbps, upload 4.09Mbps

Does the speed test show you as a TPG ip address? No, but I am going through a VPN

You can check your external network. On your ethernet computer, do

tracert tpg.com.au

There should be 5 or 6 hops to reach TPG. If there are too many, or you go through non-TPG servers, you might not be on TPGs network.

10 hops with VPN on

6 hops with VPN paused

You can put your TPG username and password in router and see what happens.

I will try this later

It's strange you mention Kogan VR500 since I've never seen this combination mentioned here.

I can confirm that this modem was suuplied by TPG. But I agree - I have not seen any TPG help files for this model (yet).

david64
Level 15

@lcj6159 .

1. C1200 and VR500 have about the same wifi bandwidth (300 + 897) so there's no benefit to use the C1200.

2. You might have to check on the internet for how to find the iPad wifi connection speed.

Whatever it is, consider putting the slower device on the 2.4GHz band.

3. Are you on NBN25 speed plan? What speeds do you get if you pause the VPN?

Do you use VPN client on both computers? And the phone and iPad?

4. Tracert: OK

The TP-Link website does have a manual for the VR500.

The C1200 was the usual router for FTTP, which I presume you are. FTTP removes some constraints on the router: VLAN ID is not used; VOIP phone function is provided by NBN FTTP box.

It's strange you got this model because you don't need the phone or the DSL connections. From their point of view, TPG could have found a cheaper model.

Also strange that Vodaphone credentials work with TPG, unless username and password aren't used on FTTP.