TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600V - connecting iMacs via wifi crashes modem router

dudedude
Level 2

Hello community,

Seeking your help on this frustrating problem.

I have an Archer VR1600V on TPG's FTTB connection. When I connect to wifi using my iMac, after a period of time it crashes the Archer and all devices connected to it lose connectivity. I have to reset the Archer to restore internet access. I have many other family devices connecting via wifi - AppleTV, MacBook, 2 x iPads, 2 x iPhones, Surface Pro, HP Envy, many other wifi enabled smart home devices, and they don't cause the Archer to crash but are all affected when the iMac connects and crashes it.

I even went and got a brand new iMac... and the same thing happens.

The strange thing is that when i connect either iMac via ethernet, the problem does not occur. Both iMacs can be connected for days without crashing. But about 15 minutes into connecting via wifi, it locks the Archer.

Help!!

1 REPLY 1
Shane

Hi @dudedude,

Welcome to the community!

I would like to clarify that the Wi-Fi only crashes when specific device is connected which is the iMAC. Other device(s) connected to the Wi-Fi does not experience wireless dropout not unless the iMAC(s) are connected. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

There is a possibility that there is a problem with the compatibility of your iMAC Wireless (Wi-Fi) Frequency affecting the Archer VR1600's Wireless network to drop or to get disconnected.

We did an article that you may find helpful about Wireless Network available here.

Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it?

Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!