Foxtel explained?

SOLVED Go to solution
rushmakin
Level 2

Hello,

My partner and I are moving out for the first time in about a week. TPG is the internet provider for our new home, however before I signed up I needed to tick a box saying we will no longer be able to use Foxtel. Our apartments were just built and each room comes with a paid TV outlet and we use Foxtel almost every day. We are unwilling to sign up if it means we are unable to use Foxtel. I have tried to search around and find out why but have found conflicting responses and I'm not the most tech-savvy person out there. It seems weird that the people who built our apartments would make the decision to include paid TV outlets but then choose an internet provider who doesn't allow paid TV. 

Can anyone help shed light on the situation? 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Manuel
Community Manager

Hi @rushmakin,

Welcome to the community.

The foxtel service will work. I think you maybe just misread it the first time (as i did). Its actually Foxtel program purchases. So its only that feature that wont work as is not compatible with NBN

pic1.PNG

Hope that answers your question

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Manuel
Community Manager

Hi @rushmakin,

Welcome to the community.

The foxtel service will work. I think you maybe just misread it the first time (as i did). Its actually Foxtel program purchases. So its only that feature that wont work as is not compatible with NBN

pic1.PNG

Hope that answers your question

Cheers

solar1714
Level 3

What exactly does "Foxtel program purchase" mean that has anything to do with the internet provider? Something to do with connecting the Foxtel box to the internet, or something else?

EDIT: Ah, I'm going to guess what it means. You could also have your box connected to the phone line, and use it to vote in poll questions, and I guess order programs. I suppose it rang a number, and maybe that's what won't work any more. It doesn't make sense that the box's internet connection would be affected.

Manuel
Community Manager

Hi @solar1714,

Your guess is correct. Some of the features of Foxtel use traditional landlines services to be used.

EDIT: Ah, I'm going to guess what it means. You could also have your box connected to the phone line, and use it to vote in poll questions, and I guess order programs. I suppose it rang a number, and maybe that's what won't work any more. It doesn't make sense that the box's Internet connection would be affected.

timc
Level 2

The Foxtel IQ2 boxes have an ethernet port which you can use to connect to your modem, The IQ3 boxes have Wi-Fi.

Only the original IQ boxes use a standard phone line.  So unless you have one of those, it shouldn't be an issue.

orbistat
Level 8

Yes that's correct, the Austar/Mystar decoders are ethernet based as well so no problems there.

baycoop2017
Level 2
Hi, I have iQ 2 so that means I now need to upgrade to 3 as my Foxtel isn’t in same room as modem??? Is that right? Thanks for any help
Erika

Hi @baycoop2017,

Foxtel iQ 2 can only be used via Ethernet cable to your modem.

Should you need further assistance regarding this, we would appreciate if you may please contact Foxtel support.

Cheers,