TPG Community

Get online support

Lag spikes in-game when watching Twitch stream

franz_17
Level 2

Lag spikes in game (Valorant) have become common about one or two months ago and I only found out that it was caused by watching Twitch streams

Yhe ping is 55-60ms without watching a stream, and it goes to 50-90ms when watching a stream (sometimes going up to 300ms). The stream bitrate is roughly around 6 Mbps and the speedtest that I'm getting says we have 53 Mbps, which is really good considering our plan is 50/20 (download/upload). I don't see a reason why it should lag especially when the bandwidth isn't congested.

What I've tried

• ethernet cable
  • new ethernet NIC
  • resetting network connection on Windows 10
  • hard reset on gateway (modem + router)
  • calling TPG support (said that a technician will call back 4 days ago but haven't yet so here I am)

Hardware

• gateway = Archer VR1600v v1 (Firmware version = 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n)
    • No QOS setting enabled on the router in the video test

Issues could be

• I'm not an expert but just from my intuition the issue could be the router since it could be handling the network traffic wrong. Would getting a new gateway fix this?
  • This maybe the caused by TPG as well, I'm unsure, but from what I've read on this article, it could be an issue with the port in the FTTN cabinet.

I don't normally watch Twitch when playing a game but if a family watches a Twitch stream, my ping in game will start to spike every 2-5 seconds sometimes making me teleport when moving in game. What's weird is that YouTube and Netflix don't seem to cause an issue at all.

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @franz_17,

The latency problem is caused by bandwidth issue. Could you perform a speed test a post a screenshot of the result on this thread.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Lag spikes in game (Valorant) have become common about one or two months ago and I only found out that it was caused by watching Twitch streams (video link).

In the video, the ping is 55-60ms without watching a stream, and it goes to 50-90ms when watching a stream (sometimes going up to 300ms). The stream bitrate is roughly around 6 Mbps and the speedtest that I'm getting says we have 53 Mbps, which is really good considering our plan is 50/20 (download/upload). I don't see a reason why it should lag especially when the bandwidth isn't congested.

What I've tried

• ethernet cable
  • new ethernet NIC
  • resetting network connection on Windows 10
  • hard reset on gateway (modem + router)
  • calling TPG support (said that a technician will call back 4 days ago but haven't yet so here I am)

Hardware

• gateway = Archer VR1600v v1 (Firmware version = 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n)
    • No QOS setting enabled on the router in the video test

Issues could be

• I'm not an expert but just from my intuition the issue could be the router since it could be handling the network traffic wrong. Would getting a new gateway fix this?
  • This maybe the caused by TPG as well, I'm unsure, but from what I've read on this article, it could be an issue with the port in the FTTN cabinet.

I don't normally watch Twitch when playing a game but if a family watches a Twitch stream, my ping in game will start to spike every 2-5 seconds sometimes making me teleport when moving in game. What's weird is that YouTube and Netflix don't seem to cause an issue at all.

franz_17
Level 2

Hi @Shane ,

As requested, speed test screenshot result is shown below.

Speedtest.PNG

Shane

Hi @franz_17,

How many devices are connect when you experience latency issue? Could you send us a PM with your details so we can proceed with the initial investigation.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi @Shane ,

As requested, speed test screenshot result is shown below.

Speedtest.PNG