TPG Community

Get online support

My internet speed is slow

cheoheric33
Level 2

Hi

I am having a slow internet speed, which is about half of the package which I signed up.

My monthly package is $59.99 and should be expecting the speed of 25Mbps.

So far my speed is only reaching 12.6Mbps with direct ethernet cable & 9.5Mbps with Wifi.

Could you please help to check & act on this.

Appreciate your support on this. 

Thanks.

Regards

Eric

5 REPLIES 5
KarlB

Hi @cheoheric33,

Your order for NBN has not yet been completed. You are still currently connected to an ADSL service.

Your will receive updates as your NBN order progresses.

Regards,

Karl

cheoheric33
Level 2

Hi Karl

Yes, I understand my NBN is not ready yet.

But the current speed for my ADSL2+ should be around 25Mbps (based on the package I signed up), is that right?

However I am only getting about 10Mbps (which is half of the speed).

Could you please help to take a look on this?

Thanks.

Regards

Eric

KarlB

Hi @cheoheric33,

I have checked your service and your sync rate is 15.6Mbps. This is passing for a 1.6km line.

ADSL2+ connections allow sync rates of up to 24 megabits per second. Unless you are living right next door to your Telstra exchange you will not achieve 24 megabits per second.

The maximum rate you can achieve is determined by several factors:

- The wiring within your premises.

- The type of modem you are using.

- The way that the modem is connected to the telephone socket.

- Other devices on the telephone line.

- The length and quality of the telephone line from the exchange to your premises.

Regards,

Karl

cheoheric33
Level 2

Hi Karl

Thanks for the detail explanation. I guess that makes sense.

Seems most of the factors that influence the internet speed is beyond my control but I noticed there is one could potentially help to increase the speed which is the modem.

Currently I am using the default modem from TPG (TD-W9970). Any suggestion of a modem model that I could try out which may/may improve the internet speed?

Regards

Eric

KarlB

Hi @cheoheric33,

I don't believe your will get any benefit out of buying a new modem. Your service is getting 15.6Mbps, and this is what I would expect you to get for a 1.6km line. The only thing that will really improve your speed from here, is when NBN is installed at your address.

Regards,

Karl