TPG Community

Get online support

NBA League Pass Streaming keeps on buffering on NBN50

jmgl
Level 2

I've been streaming NBA League Pass --> https://watch.nba.com for the past few weeks without any issues. However, today it keeps on buffering and is completely unwatchable. I've tested other streaming sites and can watch 4k Youtube videos and HD Netflix videos without any issues.

I've also tested my mobile data and NBA League Pass --> https://watch.nba.com works perfectly fine.

Could you please advise if TPG is throttling NBA League Pass CDN (Content Delivery Network)?

Any sort of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
peter_k

Welcome to TPG Community,

Could you PM (Private message) me your customer ID, username, service address or mobile number so I can check the status here.

To learn how to send a private message, click here.  

Regards,
Peter

jmgl
Level 2

PM Sent @peter_k 

peter_k

Hi

TPG does not throttle any particular application or Website.

If you were able to stream 4K Youtube or Netflix at the same time you were having the issues you know that the Network was delivering good speeds.

I know you tested via a Mobile service but there must have been some congestion somewhere regarding the NBA Website.

Can you confirm if it has returned to normal now?

Regards,

Peter

Level 2

I have exactly the same problem with leaguepass. All other streaming services work fine and the speed test says 50Mb down 18Mb up

When i set the quality in the League pass video to Auto it will default to 240p if I change it to 640p it will work and almost never buffer. 720 and 720HD just never work. The problem really came to a head last week when i was the only person at home with the only computer and i turned foxtel off. It still buffered.

So in Sydney the watch.nba.com server is

jon$ nslookup watch.nba.com
Server: 192.168.10.1
Address: 192.168.10.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
watch.nba.com canonical name = watchnba.neulion.net.
watchnba.neulion.net canonical name = neulion.nba.com.edgekey.net.
neulion.nba.com.edgekey.net canonical name = e11280.dscg.akamaiedge.net.
Name: e11280.dscg.akamaiedge.net
Address: 23.49.230.43

If you do a geolocation on that ipaddress it is housed within the TPG network. Akamai is a product that aids a Content delivery network by cacheing content closer to the consumer so we all don't contact the Neulion server site in Canada or New York or wherever it is. This Akamai server will be different in each country ie in Germany it is Name: e11280.dscg.akamaiedge.net
Address: 104.109.89.200

So I raised support calls with all three NBAleaguepass/neulion, Akamai (i just rang them), TPG and lo and behold it was fixed.

The reason why I knew to do this is when KAYO were setting up in Australia they had constant issues with Akamai servers causing buffering problems. They now also have an akamia server with in the TPG network.

Neulion was setup by Nancy Li, Charles Wangs wife and Russ Artz who were the original founders of Computer Associates. CA used to buy up software companies near the end of their lives and do wrap and rolls on the maintenance revenue for the dwindling customer base so it doesn't surprise me that Neulion have created a less than optimal solution.